S3 Suspension Noises

mohsin1315

Reaction score
Hi All,

So my car has had this very irritating knock/rattle from the front driver side for a while now. It almost sounds as though something is loose and can be heard more than felt when going over rough surface at sub 30mph speeds. Its not metallic and its not creaky and present when that wheel goes over a rough surface that causes repetitive vertical movement in a short space of time e.g. cobbled path. AmD Woking took a look and recommended the car needed a new shock on that side, so I decided to get a H&R cup kit installed.

It was with them for a while as I had an issue with a fuel leak that appeared out of nowhere so several days later I got my car back. Whilst it was with AmD they did an extremely thorough job of investigating the noise and the sequence of events is as follows:

- Cup Kit with new top mounts fitted - knocking noise still there
- Rest of suspension assesed. Everything is as tight as can be according to Simon at AmD who I trust
- Other non suspension items nearby checked for rattles such as wiper motor, bonnet hinges etc and tightened up - knocking noise still there
- After discussion with me and searching this forum for advice, the lower control arm and associated bush was replaced on the driver's side - noise still there
- The car has recently had a brand new ARB fitted at the front (not by AmD)

I have been given the car back and it has also inherited a new noise. A creak from the rear at low (sub 10mph) speed over any kind of uneven surface. Noise is exagerated when there is a passenger in the rear. It can very easily be recreated by pushing down on the rear of the car.

The car is booked in for Thursday to get the creak checked out but the inital rattle is doing my head in. Any ideas what else it could be please? Ideally I would like to get this fixed at the same time too.

I have already thrown a fair bit of cash at it now doing suspension work which hasn't actually solved my initial problem (and given me a new one) and feel disappointed which is never a good thing after a modification. On a side note the car feels much tighter and firmer and after a 500 mile trip over the last couple of days I am very happy with how it feels on a motorway. All noises also disappear at speed regardless of road surface so maybe I just need to drive everywhere at 70mph?

Help! lol

Mo

It will be your steering rack.

Very common fault with Audi which they are unwilling to warrent. It is showing more and more lately with our car reaching the 6 year old mark!

I am currently investigating cheapest way to replace the rack as Audi were originally looking £1800 to change. I got them down to £1300 but still is extortionate in my opinion.

The part from Audi is £930 and from TPS it is around £850.

Eurocarparts do two version and I am in contact with them regarding the differences. One is significantly cheaper than the other but it is still made by the OEM company.

Reactions: mohsin1315
Thanks Boydie. The thought had crossed my mind about it being steering related. I'll see what kind of price AmD can quote me for the work. Is it dangerous or just a sign that the rack is on the way out?

Hi Boydie. The cheaper TRW item from eurocarparts is a remanufactured item hence the cost difference . Looks like you get some money back from your old rack so all in parts are £300. This is just me interpreting from their website

Hi Guys,

My car is back - still with suspected Steering Rack noise which will get seen to in the new year probably.

My question is about the creak from the rear. I have been told it is the new springs settling in. They apparently take some time to sit snugly in the cups and this amount of time varies from car to car, spring to spring. They have been greased up so the noise has been reduced but is still there. My question is, how long can I expect to put up with this noise? Its much quieter than before but now I know its there I listen out for it so its very apparent (to me). Anyone else had this with H&R (or other) springs?

Thanks
Mo

Took a good look around under the rear of the car yesterday and noticed three of the coils in the rear spring were touching near the top. I have had a look at pics online and this seems to be normal particularly with H&R but most springs have some rubber insulation on these areas so there is no metal on metal creaking or rubbing. Mine doesn't have this and I think this may be the problem. Ordered some rubber "silencers" off ebay. Hopefully they'll sort it.