Aircon in new Sportsback not that cold

JasonM

Reaction score
Before when I had the S3 on the coldest setting you could see your own breath, the sportsback does not seem anywhere near as cold.

I'm getting it checked out at the dealers on the next service.

What does everyone else think of it ?

I am also not convinced by the airco in my new sportback. It is okay as long as it stays below 25°C. My old Vectra's airco climate control was way better than that!

I am curious what your dealer has to say about it.

Mine seems to work best when you just set a reasonable temperature i.e. 20 and leave it on auto. If it needs to work hard then it does automatically. It never seems to work well if you wind it down to "low" and turn the fan up.

im the same ive had better in a 1997 passat,although mine seems to get colder if i go on a long run.

I noticed it on the new A3 we've just brought and i gotta say the old A3 system seems better, dont know wether its cause of the twin controls compared to single like the old one???

I had a compressor (or condenser...) problem with my air con and they had to regas it (after 2 months of ownership) which didn't solve the problem and so then they eventually did change the compressor. I was told it was a common-ish problem for the A3 so might be worth getting checked out.

Mine was set to 22/Auto yesterday and it was plenty cold. I would get it checked out.

32 degrees yesterday, and with "LOW" setting with a couple of bars of power (and Circulate on and windows up of course) I got goose dumps in about 2 minutes!

I consistently have my set at 19C on auto,and never noticed a problem over this unusually good summer.
It's just as good as the aircon in my previous A4,so no complaints there.

I've noticed that it is much colder with lower fan speed settings - I guess the compressor can only cool a limited volume of air effectively, so setting a high fan speed results in warmer (well, less cold - you know what I mean) air.