Armrest catching handbrake...

SCHOLESY83

Reaction score
Anyone know how to stop this? Can I adjust the armrest so it doesn't go as low? Handbrake doesn't seem to be high or anything, 2-3 clicks to lock it on.

Cheers

Well catalogued Audi design curiosity! you'll find it filed alongside door electrics shower on opening window after rain. :)

Haha!

and yeah, u can lower then lift slightly but that's just sloppy for them to miss that clash. As a matter of fact it's already started to scuff the handbrake leather, Nice!!

Haha!

and yeah, u can lower then lift slightly but that's just sloppy for them to miss that clash. As a matter of fact it's already started to scuff the handbrake leather, Nice!!

????? No, it locks in position up to too high for comfort, but it must go as low as possible before you lift it or it won't lock!!!!

Mine has a sweet spot when i lower it right down then lift maybe a half centimetre or so then push down it locks just high enough to miss the handbrake

????? No, it locks in position up to too high for comfort, but it must go as low as possible before you lift it or it won't lock!!!!

Yeah I get what your saying, my point being that its naff that it clashes with the handbrake full stop, should be free of clash no matter where in its travel range it is.

from the response it's not just mine. So I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Mini mirror sun-visor on the one hand, no armrest/handbrake congruity on the other. I guess some of the engineers at Audi are more equal than others.

When I first got in my car after buying, the salesman even identified it as a design flaw. It's no inconvenience though, as Mark says just lower it all the way down then lift it up one notch so it sits parallel to your forearm.

I always lift my armrest to fully apply the handbrake! Then return it down...

Don't do what my cousin did with her brand new 1 day old Audi A3 S-line...

She parked on a hill, applied the handbrake till it touched the armrest. Woke up next morning and found her car gone but did see a brand new 62plate A3 that had wiped out a wall, a tree and in the pond at the bottom of the road. Total write off. Oh and it was a company car. Bad day.

That is doing my head in! I didnt notice it early enough and now I need to replace the handbreak leather trim as its worn down quite a lot on the edge where armrest was touching against it.

Yeah I get what your saying, my point being that its naff that it clashes with the handbrake full stop, should be free of clash no matter where in its travel range it is.

from the response it's not just mine. So I guess I'll just have to live with it.

My last reply wasn't worded properly!
The armrest can be locked FROM a position too high for comfort, in steps, right down to the console. i.e. right down, lift a bit and lock, lift a bit more and lock and so on.

after seeing this on my car i got those self adhesive patches that you fit on furniture. the softer one.
YW6009.430x270.jpg

cut the small piece and glued it under the armrest. it helps...

Don't forget their ingenious idea to put a drinks holder above the radio/climate control panel :think:

Don't forget their ingenious idea to put a drinks holder above the radio/climate control panel :think:
They outdid themselves with the 8P holders by putting them under the armrest and making them small & extra-small, so you can't put anything in them taller or wider than a can of coke & use the armrest at the same time! Any bottled drinks have to lay in the door pocket. :think:

They outdid themselves with the 8P holders by putting them under the armrest and making them small & extra-small, so you can't put anything in them taller or wider than a can of coke & use the armrest at the same time! Any bottled drinks have to lay in the door pocket. :think:

But they did make the hole big enough for a can of red bull :p

Reactions: RedDejavu and Artimus