Side Lights, how the hell do you change them????

I

imported_tobycruse

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a set of LED side lights for my A3, gone a bit LED crazy recently!!!! They are replacements for 501, is that the right size??

Anywho, more to the point, how do you replace the side lights, they seem impossible to get to. I can take the back off but this doesn't seem to help, what can i do to get to the side lights?

I Have changed the side light bulbs. It is a lot of hassle Drivers side will not take too long 5-10min. The passenger side will take twice as long. If you have some nose pliers it will make it a lot quicker. You need to grip the plastic case that the bulb is held into and then move it in an up and down motion whilst pulling back very gently. I hope this helps (it worked for me and you try this at you own risk)

Just be aware that most LED replacements have a much higher resistance than a regular bulb and the DIS may give a warning about a broken light.

oki doki, will give it a go, thanks for your help!

Driver's side was easy enough.
Passenger side was a frikkin nightmare !

Erm, what side lights go in the A3???? I bought some LED replacement ones and they have type 501 written on the back, is this the correct sort?

[ QUOTE ]
Erm, what side lights go in the A3???? I bought some LED replacement ones and they have type 501 written on the back, is this the correct sort?

[/ QUOTE ]
The best bulbs to get are the Philips Cool Blue sidelights. I've fitted these to my Sportback (with Xenons) and not only do they give out a nice white light, there's no problem with DIS as described above.

Fitting was actually easier than everyone else described! A pair of pliers is a must - use these first to pull the connector fully out of the headlamp housing so you can change the bulb. To refit, you might find it easier to use your fingers as well as the pliers. You just have to offer the connector up to the back of the headlamp and push it home.

With regard to the LEDs, I've no idea if 501 is any good - but it's true that the LEDs will set off the bulb failure warning if your car has DIS.

Yup, you were right, LED + DIS just dont work, i have gone with your sugestion benw and im getting the philips! Thanks for your help!

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, you were right, LED + DIS just dont work, i have gone with your sugestion benw and im getting the philips! Thanks for your help!

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you get on with changing the bulbs?

Got the philips you suggested, worked a treat! Showed them to my mum who drives an RS4....mmmmm..... and she likes them, wants to get some!! Anywho, thanks for your help!!

Your Mum drives an RS4? Sporty Mum, does she drive fast?

[ QUOTE ]
Got the philips you suggested, worked a treat! Showed them to my mum who drives an RS4....mmmmm..... and she likes them, wants to get some!! Anywho, thanks for your help!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Your Mum must really love driving! My mother drives an 05 Ford Ka, and if I showed her my Cool Blue sidelights she'd just roll her eyes and ask what the difference was! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Oh yea, she knows how to drive it!! Im trying to get her to go to AMD and get a remap + exhaust + sport cats but shes not having any of it atm.... Isn't it true though that the current RS4 with a little remap or 2 will be quicker than the newer one.....? Thought that highly tuned 4.2 lump redlining at 8250rmp must be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Well, after all the hard work, here is the pic of the new sidelights....

DSC_0267.jpg