Replace non bose sub - advice

nickjw2000

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a new sub for the non bose amp?

I've trawled various forums for answers but there just seems to be posts about new bigger subs and new amps. I'm happy (enough) with the OEM speakers and Alpine head unit, but the sub in the boot is burst so I need to replace it.

I've taken the boot panels easily enough to replace it, but I don't want to start pulling more panels off and rewiring. I just want a decent replacement sub that'll do at least the same job as the standard one. I know it won't blow anyone away, but with a bit of dynamat it does the job I need it to do.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Like I say, the simpler the job the better.

I'm not lazy, I'm just content!

Cheers in advance.

Can't you just go like for like? Seems the easiest way to me. Get the part number off it and go searching, probably eBay would be your best bet.

Any decent 6.5" woofer then mate. Doesnt haven't to be the factory spec but i'd make it as close to or the same RMS power as the factory one so the amp can handle it. The mounting holes are 4 equally spaced screws around the edge so no need for adaptors or anything. However the original one is a dual voice coil so has 4 wires (2 pos 2 neg) connected to it so u'll ideally want to find the same. This all depends on what kind of system u have mind.

If u haven't taken it out, or any of the panels yet u need to remove the boot trim where the lock is first, take out the boot mat and parcel shelf, push the rear seats down and remove all the screws off the left panel and then it should come off. Theres a few of them and some are hidden under covers.

Like for like would be easiest I suppose, but I'd rather get something that's a bit more solid. Don't want to spend a fortune but happy to spend up to £100 for something that'll last a bit longer.

Cheers for the reply

...also, got the sub out no probs so that's fine.
Had a look on amazon and eBay but struggled to find any 6.5" DVC subs that are 2x2 ohm. There was one rubbish one for a tenner, but although I'm saying I don't want to blow anyone away, I dont want it to blow up in a few days!

Cheers

...also, got the sub out no probs so that's fine.
Had a look on amazon and eBay but struggled to find any 6.5" DVC subs that are 2x2 ohm. There was one rubbish one for a tenner, but although I'm saying I don't want to blow anyone away, I dont want it to blow up in a few days!

Cheers

As much experience as ive had with audio, different types of subs is not somethin im not clued up on. So with that in mind im wondering what would stop u using a single voice coil sub but then just attach both of the positives and negatives together to the terminals on the sub? Using a piggyback connector?

That's a good question, I can't see it causing a problem but I don't know for definite...anyone??

Here's another question, feel free to tell me if I'm mental...There are plenty of good component speakers on the market, so if I bought a set of them could I just use one of the woofers and forget the tweeters and the crossover/s??

It'd be easy to wire up and I wouldn't need to worry about mounting the crossovers or the tweeters. Fair enough I'd be wasting a good bit of kit and it might be a bit daft, but would it work?

Two problems really, the FS would be way out, being a Midbass not a Sub. In short, it won't behave like a sub

Second, it won't be dual coil, so may present issues with impedance being different. I'd try and find out the impedance of the stock sub, and how it's wired (series or parallel) and it may be possible to find a 6.5'' sub that will work

Good shout with it being mid bass, hadn't taken that into consideration.

Nice one. Just checked a few reviews of the peerless and they get a good write up for a budget buy.

The standard sub's definitely 2x2 ohm.

Not sure about the older models to be honest. Mine's a 2006 S line.

Turn up the volume a bit and stick your head in the boot, if there's a sub there you'll here it on the left hand side.

Sorry to hijack, do all a3s have a sub in the boot?

The majority do. But i was shocked when i installed a system into a poverty spec 57 plate A3. It had no rear door speakers or sub. But yeh as said, put the bass up a lil and put ur hand on the left hand panel in the boot and see if u can feel some strong vibrations. Its mounted nearer to the boot