Wheel fitment - A6 wheels on an A3

Pez

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a set of winter wheels and tyres for my A3 and have seen some on ebay from an A6. Will they fit ok?

I've had a look at fitment guides and think A3 are 5x112, 45-50 offset, 57.1 bore. The A6 looks to be the same apart from the offset is 35-45.

Problem is, I've no idea what an offset is!

Thanks in advance!

Offset is the distance from the centre line of the wheel to the mounting face, so basically where the middle of the wheel sits relative to the hub. The lower the number, the further out the wheel will sit. ET is measured in mm, so 45-50mm from the mounting face to the centre line of the wheel.

Wheel Offset Calculator

The offset range is different for different widths of wheel too. A 7" wheel ET 25 would probably fit just fine, but a 9" wheel has a pretty narrow range of offsets where the wheel clears the strut on the inside edge and still fit within the arch on the outer edge.

Thanks for the reply. Still not too sure though! The add just has 16" alloys with 225/45 tyres which is the same as mine, but I guess that isn't enough info.

I just asked the seller and the wheels are ET50 6.5J so they should fit ok?

Not 100% on the new A3s. They'll fit, but might sit a bit far into the arch. What's the offset and width of the standard wheels?

Also that link isn't up to date; the new A4s are 66.6 too.

Not 100% on the new A3s. They'll fit, but might sit a bit far into the arch. What's the offset and width of the standard wheels?
Not sure, I'll have to take one off tomorrow and have a look.
Hadn't realised that list was out of date either, although a bit more googling and it seems 5x112, 45-50 offset, 57.1 bore is right for the mk2 A3.
Thanks for all the help!

If you have a 2009, this whole thread should be in the 8P section.

*Thanks Sandra

Last edited: