A3 problem that even the main dealer cant sort out

jimick

Reaction score
[h=2]A3 problem that even the main dealer cant sort out[/h]
Hi , looking for a bit of help here from anyone who might have experienced something similar with there Audi. I bought my third A3 from Arnold clark and after a week discovered on turning left on low speeds a rubbing sound coming from the off side front wheel area. The car has been into Arnold clark an amazing 8 times about this they have done a wheel bearing cleaned up brake calipers and put copper grease on them to no avail . After a heated visit to the service manager at the garage they agreed only the main dealer could fix it but after two days with Audi they havent managed to get to the bottom of the problem and advised to let the fault develop so that they can identify it when its totally knackered!Any help would be welcomed as im at the end of my tether wih this many thank

Couple of things.
Brake caliper dust/heat shield and, this may sound silly, but check the windscreen washer bottle is not low in water.

Couple of things.
Brake caliper dust/heat shield and, this may sound silly, but check the windscreen washer bottle is not low in water.

Arnold clark cleaned up the brakes and calipers and have adjusted the heat plate , washer bottle is full the next stage we are at is getting the caliper , disk and pads changed if this doesnt work ive no idea !

Thanks bud but im in Glasgow

Okay here me out, this will sound Bizarre but try checking the engine cover - the big plastic cover under the bonet.

Mine was making a noise the other week after it had being returned from Audi, I thought :wtf:its just been in to Audi...

Looked under the bonnet and they hadn't clipped the cover down correctly :S Not too sure what it was catching on but when i full locked left it made a rubbing noise.

Hope this resolves the issue, and if not sorry for getting you out in the cold :D

cheers bud , getting out in the cold isnt a prob if it sorts this issue out honestly its getting like chineese torture

Bearing on top of the suspension mount? My front passenger side one was making a knocking/pinging noise at low speed (when parking etc). Audi sorted it with a new bearing.

Is it rotational ? if it makes a rubbing noise when turning left does it increase with noise or get quicker ?

Is it rotational ? if it makes a rubbing noise when turning left does it increase with noise or get quicker ?

Yip its rotational , sounds more like a rubbing noise it does increase on speed variation but it is more noticeable when driving away from a parked position turning left . Thanks for any help you can give !

Sorry it gets quicker with speed ,increases in noise when done at low speed

Last edited:
is there an anti viabration ring on the driveshaft? (looks like a dohnut halfway up the shaft) is that in place?

Try checking the CV joint rubber gaitor is making the noise. My dad's mazda 2 was making noises whilst turning, so jacked it up and checked the usual suspects and nothing until put it on full lock and turnd it and fount the gaitor was the issue.

^^ could be. on full lock the folds in the gaitor contact each other and can make a creeking/squeeking noise. doubt youd be able to hear it in the cabin with the windows shut?

what is the anti vibration ring ? Its not something that has been mentioned by anyone who has looked at the car. The sound is like a hard rubbing noise and you can feel it slightly through the steering wheel.

Suspension bearings, there is a technical bulletin regarding these (I had mine done not long ago).

Suspension bearings, there is a technical bulletin regarding these (I had mine done not long ago).

Honestly , what car did you have it done on ? and what year ? The problem with mine has ment the car spending two days at audi and no one there mentioned anything about this

Just had wheel bearing ,brake disks , pads and caliper changed and guess what no difference :banghead: Please someone out there must know something about this !!!!!! HEEEEEEEPL

Dont think it would be this as the noise is rotational noticed more driving slow

is there an anti viabration ring on the driveshaft? (looks like a dohnut halfway up the shaft) is that in place?
Hi mate there is nothing on the shaft like a donut ?