Coming/leaving home not working

master83

Reaction score
Hi!

I have just bought a 2005 A3 2.0 TDI DSG and I´m wondering how the coming/leaving home function works. I have a button below the light switch with the symbol of a clock and a light, but nothing happens when I push it. -I´m guessing it should switch a red light on/off right?

Any tips for troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read through the faqs threads at the top of this section, lots of useful info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

you turn it not push it
turn it on get out the car lock it
only when its dark tho.

First I'd remove the light switch - turn it clockwise from the off position about halfway between the sidelight and off position while pushing the whole switch in, then the whole switch unit will come out towards you - it requires a little bit of a knack but you'll soon get it!

Then you will be able to see if there is a connector to the rear of the little switch for coming/leaving home - if not then its a retro fit switch - if there is then it could be a wiring problem or may need activating for whatever reason with VCDS

It will be possible to get it working either way but hard to diagnose

Do you have a light sensor in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror?

Hi!

I have just bought a 2005 A3 2.0 TDI DSG and I´m wondering how the coming/leaving home function works. I have a button below the light switch with the symbol of a clock and a light, but nothing happens when I push it. -I´m guessing it should switch a red light on/off right?

Any tips for troubleshooting?

Thanks!

That's not the dial brightness adjuster is it?! ;)

I didn't think that there were any buttons for the coming home lights and they were activated through DIS? And only if you had the auto headlights?

This is the switch I have (but I have two fog light options)

and yes, I have light/rain sensor.

R8_420_Headlight_Switch.JPG

Gotcha! Never seen that before, looks like you're right! :) No idea then. :/

Does it have to be dark to activate it via the button?

Anywho: It's always dark here now up north :/

No the button does not light up.
I have the button on Auto.
when in auto, the xenons are on - not sure how to test if the autolights are working.

No error codes in vagcom either.

Last edited:
Strange.. The red light should come on or go off when pressing the button, regardless of being dark outside.

Give the autolights a test by putting a peice of paper on the windscreen over the sensor, just underneath the rearview mirror.

I will try with a flashlight later tonight. also check in VCDS if the feature has been turned off for some reason.