Petrol cap won't open!?!

daver555

Reaction score
Tried to fill up this morning and it wouldn't open. It opened a bit on the popper just enought for me to notice that the little metal locking pin had not retracted. I tried locking and unlocking the car but to no avail. Luckily I still had 100 miles to go so just carried on to work. I checked it again in the car park and it opened albeit with the pin sticking out a bit. I locked the car and tried the cap and it opened so it appears my lock is faulty. I did a search just now and it might be the case that there is a manual override located in the boot. Is this correct? Hope so as I will need to fill up tonight! Cheers, Dave.

Dave, perhaps the solenoid that withdraws the locking pin needs a dose of WD40. Anyway, worth a try. In the boot, opposite the fuel cap you should find a little trap-door. Open this, and you should see a small cable. Pulling on this will retract the fuel cap pin. After you fill up, squirt a little oil into the lock. You can leave the cap open and cycle the central locking, and watch the pin move. Good luck.