Engine Temperature & warming up sooooo late

KemiksiZ

Reaction score
Good morning folks! :)

since it has been like -5 / 5 degrees these days here, my car does not get warmed up, at least in half an hour.

It remains soooo cold for half an hour or so than after 25 - 30 mins, it only reaches 60-70 degrees, not even 90.

What is wrong with it?

Thanks

Well if it is a diesel, that's normal. I believe that the temperature you see is the radiator water temperature, with the engine warming up and getting to operating temperature before the thermostat opens to let hot water circulate. The diesel being so efficient, it does take a long time. If your cabin heater is working well, that proves the point above. In this case, no need to worry. Good luck.

Hi mate :)

Thnks for the reply.

Nope, its 1.6 FSI.. 2006 year.

Cabin heat is also getting warm at least in 10 minutes.

So ? :)

I've just had the thermostat done on mine as it would never get above 70. Apparently it's a common fault.. It gets stuck open so the water is constantly running through rather than staying shut till it needs it and my cabin was still getting warm

Any solution to that? or is it a big problem?

Does it harm on the engine or any other part? If I wont buy any thing and let it remain like that :D ?

Its will affect the car, as it will overfuel thinking it needs to warm the engine... Not sure its major as in breaking anything but your fuel economy and performance will suffer, mine pulls a bit quicker since Ive had it done part is only £32 bit of a ***** to fit to the TFSI not sure about yours

So the engine doesn't reach operating temp (according to the gauge) in 30 mins, but you have cabin heat in 10 mins? Perhaps you need to replace the coolant temp sensor first. Could be that your thermostat is fine, just the temp sensor is failing.

I would replace the thermostat - mine (2005 1.6 FSI) takes about 15-20 mins to get to 90 but once at 90 it sits there fine. You won't do any real harm running it too cold, but it won't be good for fuel economy.

Funilly enough I had this same issue on my old 1990 VW Passat 1.8 petrol.

Replace the thermostat, had this on my TT also changed the temp sensor and O ring as that was only £30 to do also, common fault accross the whole VAG range