Connects2 Can bus interface and the illusive acc and illumination

JohnE

2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI
Reaction score
I fitted my ancient Grundig WKC-5300RDS and DAB box into my A3 (2005 Sport 1.6FSI). Then I decided to put in Parrot Bluetooth. It all works fine - the speed pulse output works with the Grundig version of GALA to alter volume in response to speed.

However there are a couple of oddities - the Ign output from the Connects2 is just that, not the ACC you get when you've switched off but the key is still in. A search on here suggested the only way to do that is to tap into a tiny red wire somewhere under the steering col shroud and then run a relay from that - anyone any experience of that?

The other thing is the illumination - that is really odd - it lights up as soon as I put the key in (even if radio is off) rather than being connected to the lights - fair enough, but then it stays on after IGn off for about 90 secs. It also doesn't dim with the rest of the panel. The thing I don't get is - I don't think there is any other piece of equipment on the car that illuminates this way - but I can't recall what the audi stereo did. I have half a mind to just tap into the heater illumination - but I guess if that's all can bus operated, it may not help - anyone got any startling insight to this one?

I'm not moaning about the connects2 it does what is says it will - I just hadn't thought it through properly.

Don't know about the Acc wiring but the only thing I can think of regarding the light issue is the hazard light button lights up all the time and for some time after key is removed and also doesn't dim...

Good call - never thought of that.. On checking the wiring diagram, it looks as if it ought to be possible to tap into the connection between the ignition switch and the steering column control unit to get a "signal" for acc - but I wouldn't want to power anything from it - I saw a suggestion that a relay could be used, but even that risks putting extra load in a low current circuit.
I'm wondering why he connects2 doesn't "see" the right signals for these - I assume it's just how it it's programmed to pick up the can bus signals.