Defrosting your car

Used the old rug method for the first time today, perfectly square viewing window free of ice, no hassle just chucked it to the side and drove straight off! BAZINGA

-16 here in Chamonix this morning, Was a bit lumpy on the crank over, sounded like the diesel had frozen in the pipes. Let it idle for 30 mins before going down the valley for 20 mins to drop the girlfriend off at work, stopped for 10 mins until she met her friend and the coolant temp dropped back down to a quarter....... COLD.

I get some old bed sheets and close them in on the doors

yes they get rock hard the next morning
might stick a little bit, but once removed you are sorted

very convenient imo

Useful tips there.

The thing with leaving a car at idle on start up is that driving off within 5 to 10 seconds say will actually warm up the engine/oil quicker than idling, so it is better for the engine. Problem is of course when it's iced up so you kind of have to live with it sometimes.

Another one for those who gets misted screens on the inside, when you get a chance use a good glass cleaner/polish and thoroughly clean the inside of the screen. All the gunk and grime that builds up on the inside over time makes it take quite a bit longer to demist. A really clean screen will demist a whole lot quicker :thumbsup:

-16 here in Chamonix this morning, Was a bit lumpy on the crank over, sounded like the diesel had frozen in the pipes. Let it idle for 30 mins before going down the valley for 20 mins to drop the girlfriend off at work, stopped for 10 mins until she met her friend and the coolant temp dropped back down to a quarter....... COLD.

Love chamonix, ski'd there a few times and infact my bro is there now.

I have moved on to Les Brevieres now and go there most years.

I let mine idle, untill the oil temp is around 30 degrees, and then drive off, light throttle, no full boost untill 90 deg (which happens to coincide with the water temp sitting in the middle). Unfortunatly I have to drive up a 45 degree hill to get anywhere so my car sees a bit of throttle when it is cold.

You can tell when the car is ready to drive from the noise from the exhaust on a petrol car, the idle speed will lower.

Idling an engine for long periods can cause glazed cylinder bores, leading to burning oil. it's not something I'm keen on doing, but needs must when it comes to frost.

maybe a screen protector is in order.

Artimus:1741282 said:
Idling an engine for long periods can cause glazed cylinder bores, leading to burning oil. it's not something I'm keen on doing, but needs must when it comes to frost.

maybe a screen protector is in order.

Really? I never idle mine when cold but I always idle it for a minute or two before I turn it off to cool the turbo down, is this the right thing to do?

I don't think a minute or two, or even three, will cause any harm! I'm talking about idling whilst cleaning it or fitting a car stereo, 20\30 minutes or more on a regular basis.

I let mine idle, untill the oil temp is around 30 degrees, and then drive off, light throttle, no full boost untill 90 deg (which happens to coincide with the water temp sitting in the middle). Unfortunatly I have to drive up a 45 degree hill to get anywhere so my car sees a bit of throttle when it is cold.

You can tell when the car is ready to drive from the noise from the exhaust on a petrol car, the idle speed will lower.

Actually I've found the oil temp lags a fair way behind the water temperature, at leasst it does on my car. I've been surprised at how slowly these engines warm up, it can take easily 20 minutes, or over 10 miles to get close to the magic 90 degress oil temperature.

On my diesel, I've noted how poorly the car deals with cold generally, even when the ambient temperature is 8 degrees plus, the engine idles at 1000 rpm instead of the usual 750 rpm, and it stay at 1000 rpm until well past an oil temperature of 60 degrees.

I can see why it would idle faster initially, but it seems prgrammed to hold that idles speed for way longer than seems necessary, nonce the oil is at 50 degrees or so it doesn't need to be holding higher revs.

My 3 series did none of these things, it just started with no drama :D