Centre console rattle

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Interesting chat with an Audi mechanic today,as I drove him around
demonstrating the rattle/buzz I was getting from the centre console.
He immediately identified it as 'loose locating clips',stripped out the heater panel and did the business.
No rattle now (so far ! )
He said it's quite common on the new A3 and they are,in general,getting quite a few A3's back for rattles.
When I mentioned my '02 A4 was rattle free after 3 years,he stated that the A4 is,in general,a much more "solid" car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Mine went in for a rattle that turned out to be a loose headlight screw, I could have sworn it was something behind the dashboard.

Well mine goes in for it's first service a week on Friday with no rattles yet. It better come back to me with no rattles too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hopefully they can solve the hot starting problem at the same time.

****** rattle is still there,unfortunately.
It just needs different circumstances from before to set it off.
Where it used to rattle,it doesn't.
Where it used to be quiet,it rattles.
So the mechanic has just 'moved' it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're right there Japper.I'll forgive certain things in a car,but rattles are the worst !
It's actually grown worse and is now noisier than it was before,but I think that might be a good thing.
I'm hoping the noisier it gets,the easier it will be for them to find it and fix it.

Free fancy Audi keyring from Pam at speccy cars though,so every cloud etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, she's liking you matey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame she's got a face like a bag of mirrors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame she's got a face like a bag of mirrors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cracked mirrors at that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I tried a rattly window petition and there were too few takers to make it a go-er. Complained (politely) to Audi customer service - car was taken in for 3rd or 4th time and Southend Audi replaced everything bar the window. Result? Drivers window now silent - but for how long? Buzz from steering column at 2200rpm gone (loose nut apparently). However, I think passenger window now starting to rattle (I think - could be rattle paranoia)...
How many of us will buy another A3???

I have no rattles at all on my A3.

As this is already the 5th A3 (4x8L and 1x8P) I have purchased I think I will definetely be buying another a some stage, probably when this one is 3 years old.

[ QUOTE ]
How many of us will buy another A3???

[/ QUOTE ]

Very doubtful as it just doesn't have the solid feeling of my old A4.
I had a look at some A4's when I was up at the dealer and the styling that I hated in January (when I ordered the A3 instead) is growing on me now,especially in some of the trims that are now available,but weren't back then.
Of course,I'm assuming the new A4 will be just as well built as my '02 A4 and the 'rattles' are not indicative of a general problem with Audi these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
The mechanic I spoke to certainly implied he thinks the A4 is better built.

[ QUOTE ]
Buzz from steering column at 2200rpm gone (loose nut apparently).

[/ QUOTE ]

Woooah,back up there a minute..!!
The buzz/rattle I get from the centre console can also be heard at,you guessed it,2200 rpm !
There is definitely a 'resonance' at that engine speed that sets it off,as well as bumpy roads and rough surfaces.
I'm positive it's the centre console though.
Did you narrow it down to the steering column yourself,or just report a buzz at 2200 rpm ?
Didn't you notice it any other times ?

I've had a number of little rattles from various places. I found that the handbrake can make a slight rattling sound and needs a little nudge to shut it up.

Also got a buzzing from somewhere in the rear that is driving me nuts. Most obvious on rough surfaces.

And my steering wheel clicks when turing right to full lock.

Bowfer - It was obvious the buzz was coming from somewhere in the housing around the column - I fxxxxd around for ages trying to "hold" bits of the housing trying to stop the buzz and thus isolate it - if you see what I mean(???) with no success.
You're dead right - 2200rpm generates a frequency in the tdi which resonates throughout the car and no, it was only at that rpm that I noticed the buzz.
Frankly, Southend Audi have been terrific in taking my complaints seriously - but my best advice to all dissatisfied owners is tell it to customer services. I'm sure that Audi are particularly sensitive to wide -ranging reports of poor dealer back-up at the moment. I sincerely believe that the British are pants at complaining - if our restaurants are anything to go by - and regard it as "uncool". I think rattles and buzzes in 20k plus cars are unacceptable and If enough of us gave Audi an ear-bashing they'd sit up and take notice. David - you're either dead lucky or you haven't replaced the battery in your hearing aid (only joking!!)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Maybe I should mention my problems to my local dealer then. The only reason I haven't is that I doubt they'd be much better at tracking it down, or fixing it.

They might prove me wrong though.

I don't,yet,have an axe to grind with the dealer,as they're usually excellent.
However,if they fail to fix the rattle this time around,I might start throwing my toys out of the pram BIG TIME !
Rattles drive me daft in any car,never mind one that cost the guts of £24K...

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a company car,as you're stuck with them until the lease runs out.

I envy those with the freedom to ditch a motor and start again with something else.

[ QUOTE ]
I envy those with the freedom to ditch a motor and start again with something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

You envy people who loose a fortune in the process !!

but should I do about 'creaking'... you know, after a year, when things are slightly rubbing together (and when they are both plastic) they make a creaking sound (?) My centre-rest has started, and with the colder weather, I'm not blasting round with the window open (to hear the V6) as much, and so I notice it more now.

small amount of WD40 in the right places maybe?

My car is booked to go in for their second attempt at fixing the rattle next week.
They're loaning me an A4 2.0tdi for the day.
I'm quite excited to find out the differences,especially in refinement and interior build quality.

[ QUOTE ]
My car is booked to go in for their second attempt at fixing the rattle next week.
They're loaning me an A4 2.0tdi for the day.
I'm quite excited to find out the differences,especially in refinement and interior build quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, how did you wing that one. When I booked in mine for this Friday, I told them 'I don't want one of those A2's either' to which he kindly said we will do our best to give you something more appropriate sir, but can not promise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bowfer, Steveb,
I think I have that same centre console rattle also. I also get it at around the 2200 rpm mark, and I only really notice it at slower speeds, say in 2nd/3rd gear.

I wouldn't really describe it as a rattle either, more like a large bumble bee stuck behind the dash! The resonance of the engine definitely sets it off for some reason. I haven't bothered bringing it up with the dealers yet, the thoughts of them tackling the dashboard with a screwdriver puts me off, but if it was something simple, I might...!

JoelinIreland
Rattle is the wrong term for my noise really.
It's more like a 'buzzy rattle' than a 'rattle rattle'.
I'm beginning to think it's something inside the stereo.
I'm going to suggest they try taking the stereo out,or replacing it,and see if that cures it.
I shouldn't have to 'help' them locate it,but I'm the one that has to put up with it so I'm willing to suggest anything I can.

Japper...It's who you know !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The depths you'll sink to, flirting with a 'bag o spanners' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The depths you'll sink to, flirting with a 'bag o spanners' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know,I'm such a tart.
A tart with a 4 day old A4 to drive about in for the day though !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Bowfer,

you'll like how quiet it is :)

I had a A4 2.0tdi SLine with 75 miles on the clock as a loaner once. It doesn't feel as precise as the A3, but the ride is a lot kinder and quieter. It seemed to handle the corners adaquetly though.

It seems quite basic and uninspiring inside though, in comparrison to my A3.

I don't know what spec I'm getting a shot of,but I'm interested to see how the same engine performs in a heavier car.

Coincidentally,I borrowed one of the works vans yesterday,It's a brand new mini-transit thing ( transit-metro or something ? )
Fitted with their tdci engine.
It would obviously be silly to compare performance but I tell you,I was well surprised by the lack of noise from the tdci engine.
It's definitely more refined,even in a van,and actually sounded more like a petrol engine that maybe required some tappet adjustment (one for the oldies) than a diesel.

It's not enough for me to consider a Ford,but that engine in my car would be a nice match.

how did the A4 compare with the A3 ?

It's next Wednesday it's going in (14/9).
We're taking our daughter to Balamory (Tobermory,Mull) for a few days straight after,so they ****** well better fix that rattle !

yeah very annoying when spendin that kinda money, hope it gets sorted for u

Rattle is sorted !
Extremely helpful mechanic came on an extended drive with me and identified the rattle as,wait for it.....the handbrake button !

I went "naaaah,centre console".
He went "give me 10 minutes",took it into the workshop and,hey presto,rattle sorted !

Japper,the loan car I got was a brand new (184 miles) silver A4 Avant 2.0tdi S-line.
Bit of a mixed bag really.
Much much MUCH more refined than the A3 (the missus said "god this thing is quiet") but absolutely identical inside to my '02 A4.
I thought the 'new' A4 (it had the new headlights etc.) had a different interior as well,or is the Avant lagging behind ?
The 2.0tdi suits a manual box much more than the DSG,sorry gents.
It seems much more flexible and stronger with the manual box,probably because it's letting you use the whole range,rather than changing down and up when it decides.
The handling was terrible though,so much so that if it were my car I'd have to get checked.The front was 'floating' like the shocks were ancient.

I think my 'ideal' would be my car,with a manual box and some better noise insulation.

bowfer, regarding flexibillity. The manual is geared higher, so would help you 'ride' the torque for longer.

Just a guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That could be it Japper.
There were definitely far less gearchanges involved than with the DSG.
First 6 speed manual I've driven and it was a wee bit weird.
It's strange pulling back on the lever when it's in fifth !

I saw an advert in a paper (I think it was Audi Glasgow) saying that they're doing brand new S-line A4 Avant 2.0Tdi's (same spec as I had) for just over £18k.

That's a bargain.

No part leather in it though.Just cloth.

Oh,one more thing.
The stereo in it had bass,treble and middle adjustment.

That was nice.

[ QUOTE ]
Rattle is sorted !
Extremely helpful mechanic came on an extended drive with me and identified the rattle as,wait for it.....the handbrake button !

I went "naaaah,centre console".
He went "give me 10 minutes",took it into the workshop and,hey presto,rattle sorted !

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer (or anyone else that can help), do you know what was the fix for the rattling handbrake button? This has started on my Leon and it's really annoying. Car is going to the dealers on Thursday and I'd like to be able to point them in the right direction, or if it's something simple, fix it myself.

Many thanks

I didn't view the fix,but he told he 'packed out' the handbrake button.

The button still works normally,and the rattle hasn't returned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif