Opinions on 2005 140 TDI S Line please

reserves

Reaction score
Hi,

New to this board, have had a good look around.

Would be interested to know your opinions / valuation on a car I just looked at:

2005 S Line 140BHP
DSG with paddle shift / MFSW
Black
No cruise, no Bose.

Had Full Audi history up to 85k, local dealer to 100k.

The service book didn't state anywhere that the timing belts had been changed(!)

Car was in good condition, small dent in one door where been hit by another car door. Drove nice.

Would be interested to hear thoughts on DSG gearbox too, at 100k am I more at risk of it going wrong, how reliable are they?

Audi3

Many thanks

Rich

how much is it? looks nice mate, one of the first facelift models, if it is a good price go for it a dent can be taken out for 30 squid

Thanks, I don't think it's a great price to be honest, was interested to know what you guys thought it was worth to compare :)

Not reading great things about Cylinder Heads.

Could anyone confirm when this was sorted, this A3 was registered Sept 05.

With the info you have given i'd say 5-5.5k but would think if it was getting sold at a garage they'd want more....

Last edited:
Many thanks.

It's being advertised at 6k privately, I've just had confirmation that the cam belt's not been changed either, even though it was serviced by Audi & sold by Audi only 2.5 years ago!

The reason they gave the seller today is that they used to recommend changing at 125k not 75k that it is currently(?!) sounds like an excuse to me.

I'm assuming cambelt / waterpump etc. is going to be around £500?

To give you and idea of a price I just sold a 55 plate 2.0 tdi 140 s line with 87k DSG for £4k only took a day to sell lol.

Does anyone think £5k is an ok price, seeing as how I'm gonna have to get Cambelt / waterpump fitted ASAP?

Thanks.

I'm gonna speak to Audi, them not changing the cambelt till 125k sounds like an excuse if ever i've heard it.

Yup 5k would be a good price. Most second hand cars these days will normally need work doing to it, all of the ones i've had have anyway. 125k seems a bit excessive before the belt is changed. What was the mileage when Audi had the car?

Audi sold it at 60k, serviced it at 74k & 85k.

Shocked to find that they had no record of gearbox oil or cambelt ever being changed!

Quoted me £529 for cambelt / water pump and £196 for gearbox oil, £725 in total.

Surely the gearbox would have suffered if it's missed it's changes.

Just because the car was serviced by Audi does not mean that everything is always replaced they still need permission from the owner and if they declined the extra work of cambelt -water pump ext..... thats why its not been done

Yep, went to look at the car again last night, saw a receipt from Audi that clearly showed that Audi recommended the cambelt at the 74k service, owner obviously declined at this time.

At least now I have all the facts now, my local Audi independent quoted the same as the Audi garage! (£750)

Got a price from someone in the trade for the parts only

£91.02 + VAT for cambelt kit
£58.25 Waterpump

The gearbox oil was harder to find but think I found it for £15 a litre, 5.2 litres required so £90 & £11 for filter.

All in all parts are £250 before labour.

Probably sound a bit paranoid but the owner clearly didn't consider it very important to get these jobs done, he said he's 'not much of a car man'.

It's still up for £6k, he would have to come down a lot for me to buy it.

See if you can knock of 500+ and reason why, you might be able to get a deal.

He might refuse due to the fact that there alot of other people who are not 'car people' and just buy it without thinking about what the car will need in the near future.

Thanks.

Just found out the gearbox oil has NEVER been changed & car is now on 100k.

Shame as the car drove lovely, but can't take the risk even at £5k.

Like you say, someone will just probably just buy it without worrying, probably assuming that as it has full Audi history these things have been done.

Oh well, I'll carry on looking.

Mine has 116k on the clock and i dont think it has ever been done either, im getting it done next year due to having to fork out 500 for a new DMF and fitting last month.

Good luck with your search!

one of those heart says yes, head says no moments :(

oh well, searching is part of the fun i guess :)

i just bought a 58 170 manual sport for same money with full main dealer receipts, new turbo and cambelt, from a small garage, really tidy car with all required work done, just may have to wait for one, I couldn't wait for an s-line though

Sounds like you got a nice deal.

Not too sure how fussed I am about S Line, I really liked the half leather seats, what other differences were there apart from the body kit and slightly lower suspension?

The guy just let me know the car had been sold, just goes to show.

There was a red s line 170 s-tronic available when I bought mine, you will get one, just be paitent if you can

I think you did the right thing, higher mileage poorly maintained cars are a recipe for large garage bills. When you find the right car you will know it. Also I wouldn't give up on S-Lines there are loads about, the extra stuff makes it all the more exclusive and the wait will be worth it, promise! Try to get the 06 model or newer S-line that will give you the better, proper S-line bumpers and tailgate spoiler, I think the one you were looking at was an 05 model, could be wrong pics are not too clear, they are still good cars however and well speced inside. All the best with the search.

Thanks guys, I'm not too disappointed, I'd already decided not to go for the car. Thanks for the tip about the 06 model, I'll look out for one for sure.

I'm not in a rush, might even get a Christmas / New year bargain.. :)

Thanks guys, I'm not too disappointed, I'd already decided not to go for the car. Thanks for the tip about the 06 model, I'll look out for one for sure.

I'm not in a rush, might even get a Christmas / New year bargain.. :)

Yup i got the S-Line before which has everything........apart from the rear spoiler :wtf:

Where are you based and what is your ,max price because i'm always scouring PH and AT so can keep an eye out.....

Check its not an 'A' suffix cylinder head.
My 55 plate was a 'B' suffix and had no issues.
Sold it at 40k though so maybe a bit early.
Turbo's are weak on the 140 TDi also.
Just buy a 2.0T petrol, much less hassle. :)

Coming from a B5 S4 I'm trying to avoid petrol as I know the guys at the petrol station far too well :)

I'm based down in Brighton, also in Bexleyheath, Kent a fair bit.

Max budget of £6k really, enjoyed the DSG but thinking it makes more sense to get a manual.

Ah right im a bit too far away from you then, im in Darlington!

For 6k you should be able to get something decent but more than likely will be high mileage. I have a DSG and love it, also got a flappy paddle for when i get bored!

That is a bit far!

Don't mind high mileage really as long as the service history is good.

Yep early S-Line, some 55 plates had this bumper but 06 models got the smoother ones with the splitter at the bottom, rears are different too. I have to say this put me off for quite a while as I thought they had the wrong bumper, hence must ahve been bumped, oops!

Ok. going to look at this tonight:

S line 140bhp 2006 (06/06)
5 Door Black Manual
Half leather S Line seats
Panoramic Roof
Cruise
Bose
Good history from what I can tell.

Car

Thoughts?

Looks pretty smart to me. Hopefully the black paint has been looked after properly! What price they after?

He's asking £6.5k, this is above our budget and had a bit of a reality check thinking I'm considering paying £6.5k for a 100k car, though I know they can easily go for another 100k

As for the asking price I think £6k is more realistic.

I'm not sure if the panoramic roof adds much to the price, I wasn't really considering this as an option.

Rich

Panoramic roof is good for a sunny day but in Britain we dont get much of it!

Looks decent but hopefully you can knock him down a bit if you decide to go for it. For 6k you can get fairly decent A4's if you haven't already looked...

I started looking at A4's then the girlfriend wanted something smaller, as my mate states A3's are the most expensive secondhand car you can buy!

Got an example link to an A4? Be good to compare

looks nice mate does that! I don't think 6500 is much at all if it is a clean car, get him down to 6 and you've got a steal!