Key programming

squarebush80

Reaction score
Hi guys i have an A3 2.0 tdi 2005, i only have one key, can anyone tell me if i can buy another key (say from ebay) and programme it myself or can it be done by using vag-com. Im sure audi charge around £180 for the key and to programme it, which is pretty steep. And would programming it this way, will it affect the immobiliser. Cheers. Paul

Sorry to say mate best bet is audi. Very hit and miss with the eBay ones. It's the immobiliser that's the problem. I've got key insurance on mine

The immobiliser chip is a one time programmable chip and therefore an ebay key cannot be recoded to your car without special (not vcds) equipment and a new chip.

An ebay key, provided it is on the same frequency (433mHz I think) can be coded to lock/unlock the car by using vcds but it will not start the vehicle.

Yes but it is still possible to buy an eBay key, new transponder (Hickleys.com) and then get it coded with VCDS (you need the Secret Key Code - SKC, before you can code it though)

Yes but it is still possible to buy an eBay key, new transponder (Hickleys.com) and then get it coded with VCDS (you need the Secret Key Code - SKC, before you can code it though)

Correct - but the piece of kit required to unlock the 'secret code' costs about two grand !

Yes, but just like VCDS there are members who have the kit.

To give you an idea on costs, I bought a unused spare key (so basically brand new) from eBay, a new transponder and someone read the SKC for me, I then coded the transponder and key, total cost including fuel for a 100 mile round trip to get the SKC read was £50, or you can go to the dealer for the easier but dearer option, the choice is yours.

Reactions: squarebush80
Yes, but just like VCDS there are members who have the kit.

To give you an idea on costs, I bought a unused spare key (so basically brand new) from eBay, a new transponder and someone read the SKC for me, I then coded the transponder and key, total cost including fuel for a 100 mile round trip to get the SKC read was £50, or you can go to the dealer for the easier but dearer option, the choice is yours.

On an 8P?

Thats interesting it allowed coding without a precode with vin & brand, need to check if the 05 golfs were a cross over of immo versions from a mk4 which would code fine.

The MK5 uses a TP23CHIP transponder, which is different to the MK4,

TP23CHIP
Applications
•Vw ID48 Canbus

Technical Specifications and Other Information
•Vw Magic II ID48 Canbus Transponder
•AD100Pro/MVPPro Programmable

Hickleys are good huh, looks like a megamos 48 as in the 8P, fact it says ID48 kinda logically means it is IMHO, but how you got it to code without vin & brand is welcoming news.