Strange noise from lower engine!

ilim

Reaction score
I've noticed a strange noise coming from the bottom of the engine, sounds like thudding, but this only happens when on cold start ups. I have checked the oil and it was below half and filled it up (on my sloping drive way) so I have a slightly over the max. Is this just a common noise. There is not error codes, I'm assuming it might be the clutch. Cars 2012 July, manual, with 4800 miles on the clock and shark remap stage 1!

Thanks in advance

Ilim

so is the car actually over-filled with oil or does it only show over when on your sloping drive? also, did the knocking start after topping up your oil or before?

The oil is slightly overfilled at the minute, about 10mm over the mac line so nothing that should be causing any real issues.

Might be worth waiting and checking again once it's had some drained? That way if the noise is still there you'll know it's not from the excess oil? :)

over-filling can blow seals through excess pressure, also the piston skirts may hit the oil if excessively over-filled, causing bottom end noise.

over-filling can blow seals through excess pressure, also the piston skirts may hit the oil if excessively over-filled, causing bottom end noise.

Yeah, can cause serious issues! He filled it four weeks ago and it isn't that excessive so I'm doubting its that to be honest... A VW tech is having a look at it tomorrow anyway just to be sure. :)

yep filled it more than 4 weeks ago, and have done around 500miles+ drove it at 3 digits, but a vw tech is looking at it tomorrow just to make sure its fine and drain the excess oil out. :)

or im just PARANOID...eh dan