Starting issue

richben

Reaction score
Hi ppl I'm after some help have searched the forum and can't really find anything similar to this problem I'm having,I have a 2005 sline a3 2.0tdi bkd engine model.the problem is when starting the car once it's warm seems to take ages to start,have changed the fuel filter thinking it might be past it's best but it's made no difference,have also had the glow plugs and turbo changed around 3 months ago due to poor running and it going into limp home mode,only other thing I think it could be is injectors?any help will be appreciated

When the engine is hot it doesn't inject as much fuel as when it's cold, it's in the mapping (ECU)

Try...

When its hot, 90deg on dash, turn engine off, unplug the temperature sender located on the right hand side of the engine block - in a coolant pipe - under the air mass meter and just behind the fuel lift pump, and then it will start just as quick as when cold

Turn engine off, plug it back in and it will struggle to start again

Doesn't matter how hot the starter is

Try it, post back to let me know...

Its not the actual sensor... Its because the engine is being told its hot

If you unplug the sensor the engine 'thinks' it's cold, so injects fuel to start it quicker

Anyway try it and let me know... So far this method has been a success

Dont believe there is any way round it other than a remap to replace the hot start process with a cold start one