Tyre of choice these days? any brand or type standing out?

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to buy some tyres soon, I recall about about 6 years back when I last had to buy tyres, lol, I put Pirelli P6000's on my Bora, when I had it chipped it used to just spin in the wet and remember wasnt very good stopping!
At the time Goodyear Eage F1 GSD3 were all the go, so I change for 2 of those and they were spot on, dont seem to find them listed anymore?!

I have just got myself a Leon FR TDi 150 and have noticed it spin a little here and there, but it is soon to need 4 new tyres anyway.

Currently has Conti 3's as mentioned above, are they really that good?

Very open to other suggestions from people who've had good experiences

Cheers

CB

Read the tyre reviews on Auto Express website.

Good Year Eagle Asymmetric 2

Yep the F1 Assy 2 is one of the best tyres out there and the price is below some of it's lesser premium brand competitors.

Thanks guys, I was hoping to keep it about £100 a tyre with fitting...ish

One thing I dont get, the tyres on the car show Y rated, but every site I have seen Conti 3's on it changes to W rated :/

and correct 225/45/17

I once had Pirelli Zero Nero and Dunlop Pilot Sport on my old Golf and they transformed the car handling wise

So much choice!

Hello, thanks for the extra info. Here are a few options for you to check out. You can compare criteria like safety, test stats and price easily on the website.

Sports tyres

> ContiSportContact 5 : Continental ContiSportContact 5 prices.
from £103

> Bridgestone Potenza S001 : Bridgestone Potenza S001 prices.
from £91

Standard times:

> Bridgestone Turanza T001 : Bridgestone Turanza T001 prices.
from £99

> Michelin Primacy 3 : Michelin Primacy 3 prices.
from £95

Hope this helps!

The rezulteo team

I've used the Michelin PS3,Goodyear F1 Assy,and Bridgestone RE050.
For an all-weather tyre,the F1 is still probably the best in overall terms that I've used,but the wear rate is very high compared to the Michelin,which is pretty near as good in the dry,and better in the wet.
RE050?.....don't.

Currently running Good Year Eagle Asymmetric 2 on all 4
Best tyre I've had
Would recommend

Michelin PS3's are a very good tyre.

Im on the ContiSport 5's now and I'd say they are on par with PS3's, but the conti's benefit with a bigger protective lip.

Go Conti 5.

I'm looking at the toyo semi slicks or theyokohama semi slicks

I'm looking at the toyo semi slicks or theyokohama semi slicks
Both of these are good on dry roads,but compared to even an extreme summer tyre,they are VERY snappy on wet roads.
I do use R1Rs in summer,but you need to back the boost right off on a wet road if you don't want to end up in a ditch.

I have not bought any yet, MOT at end of January, I know it needs 2 on the back, better two are on the front but not great.

May be a silly comment, but I noticed today its struggled with traction in 2nd and 3rd a couple of times, not booting it hard or anything, this may just be down to the amount of tread on the fronts? Can take a measurement to be sure, but if this what new Conti 3's would be like I am better off with something else, reminded me how useless the P6000's were when I had them brand new on my Bora, very dissapointed.

Continental are over rated. I had them on my BMW Sportcontact 2, it had very little wet grip and average dry grip.

The F1 Asy2 will be better.

Cheers, it did make me think!

Ahh so the F1 Ast2 would be the latest version of the GSD3 from a few years back? If so they were very good!

I had Vredstien Ultrac Sessantas on my Polo GTI. They were very good and not a bad price at all. I'd recommend them :)

Reactions: Westy
I put f1's on too. Fantastic tyre although I've got about 2.5mm to wear band left on fronts after approx 5000 miles. Bit excessive or am I tight?
As I say fantastic tyre .

I put f1's on too. Fantastic tyre although I've got about 2.5mm to wear band left on fronts after approx 5000 miles. Bit excessive or am I tight?As I say fantastic tyre .
It's about right....they are excellent tyres,but the wear rate is very high compared to say the PS3,which is about as good on grip,but much better wearing.

I had the F1 Assy 1s on my BMW and they have lasted AGES including a few trackdays, still plenty of life left in them too. I suppose it depends a lot on how you drive but I would say wear isn't a big concern though the Michelins do last bit longer.

I had the F1 Assy 1s on my BMW and they have lasted AGES including a few trackdays, still plenty of life left in them too. I suppose it depends a lot on how you drive but I would say wear isn't a big concern though the Michelins do last bit longer.
You may be right....I don't smoke them,but 500bhp may be the problem!

Goodyear F1 assy 2 for me aswell, just had too new ones fitted yesterday

f1 assys without doubt.had toyo proxys and conto sport 3s and the f1s are much better.i find the tyre like pretty good but then again i dont have a 500bhp car lol

Michelin PS3's are a very good tyre.

Im on the ContiSport 5's now and I'd say they are on par with PS3's, but the conti's benefit with a bigger protective lip.

Go Conti 5.

agree and I must add that the Contis are less louder by a small margin.

Also I have Y rated now, do I need to keep to that or is it worth going lower for cheapness? :/

Good Y Assy 2 for me all day long! Just something simply outstanding. So much smoother and softer than any other I tried out yet amazing grip and even more on wet. Would say gave me extra confidence that my car did lack on Bridgestone Potenzas quite badly

Cheers mate

Ok im decided on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy, they seem to be the new version of the GSD3's I got last time.

Asy had great reviews about wet which is exactly what I want

Next question, lol, do I go with the 1's at £100 or 2's at £107?! What is the actual difference or is it just he newer version?

Cheers!

Cool

I wasnt sure what the 91 or 94 X/L bit meant, extra load I think?

Does it matter which one you get? Its for my Leon FR so not exactly a heavy car!

How are they going mate? I need to sort mine now and MOT on 30th!
Going great mate really good grip in this wet weather,other two tyres are on there way out soon so will be getting another two in the next couple of weeks. Go ahead and get them mate you won't be disappointed.