A3 8P optical parking kit

DeanTTaylor

Reaction score
There are a few threads around where people have upgraded their parking systems by sourcing bits and pieces from audi or ebay.

I have a 2012 S3 with rear sensors, I want to add front and OPS. Has anyone had experience installing one of these kits?

Audi A3 8P - Park Pilot Front anf Rear w. OPS

or

Audi Front and Rear Optical Parking Sensors

If so -

How extensive is the install manual?
How hard is it to run the wires out through the firewall? Are there already holes?
How much of the car has to come apart to do the install?
Where is the parking module located?
Do the new sensors look factory?
How do you drill holes in the bumper without chipping or flaking the paint around the hole?

Cheers

Dean.

You would want to get yourself the OEM sensors and a bumper that already has the holes for it as those bumpers also have the brackets that are used to clip the sensors into place. Also remember that the front sensors also require a new grill with the sensors built in. You need the OEM sensors so that the car can communicate with it to get the actual visual distance on the rnse. The first link you have there looks like it has the right bits but if you already have the rear sensors then you already have half the install in the car and just need to add the front sensors.
The parking module sits on the right hand side of the boot behind the carpet.
to pass the wires past the firewall you can either follow the bonnet release cable and pass the wires where that goes or pass it through under the scuttle panel and under front wiper motor so it goes directly into the central electrics module area.
you will then only need to lift up the sill trims ao that you can pass the wires under the foam to the back of the car to the parking module

Looks like I'm going to buy the 1st kit, it comes with brackets so there is no need to get another bumper and paint it.

This guy has fitted a similar kit to a GTI. I think it looks pretty OEM, notice how the holes are already marked.
MKVI Golf GTI OEM Style Rear Parking Sensors Retrofit - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

I'm having trouble finding a picture of a S3 with factory front sensors, can someone confirm that this picture is of a factory setup?
Screenshot20110830at122

Does anyone know if there is room behind the inner sensors for the brackets? or is the sensor grill absolutely required? Are the holes already marked on the inside of the bumper like the GTI?

I'm going to contact car systems and see if they have a digital copy of the install manual I could look at.

Cheers

Dean