Dipped whole car

Ironborn

English...not so good
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My excuse: Broke student :p

Came out decent, still need to clean up and peel the window trims and other things.Probobaly needs another coat or two. But I want matte orange next , with a black grille.

SDC18569.jpg

SDC18567.jpg

SDC18548.jpg

SDC18544.jpg

SDC18543.jpg

SDC18566.jpg

SDC18565.jpg

SDC18562.jpg

SDC18554.jpg

SDC18551.jpg

What I wished it looked like:

WISHcopy.jpg

Reactions: DeeGee68 and MrWhItEwOlF
plastidipped the whole car in white? TBh it dont look to bad, esp when the bits are peeled off. heh cool

doesnt look to bad actually on camera, had debated doing my Roof black to go along with the black grill and wheels but wasnt sure quite how it would look.
got any closer up pictures to see how it looks on closer inspection.

That's all the pictures for now, it's cold and wet outside.

Haha I'm a photoshop newbie you get the idea.

looks good any more pics with it cleaned up

Reactions: big harty
Couple of snaps on my visit to good old Tesco, semi-cleaned. Will be spraying the grille and wing mirrors with matte clear like this: to give it a more brush alum look: Not too bad for a £110 mod.

SDC18597.jpg

SDC18596.jpg

SDC18593-1.jpg

SDC18581-1.jpg

SDC18580-1.jpg

SDC18591-1.jpg

SDC18587-1.jpg

SDC18579-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers. It's fairly durable, I don't plan to keep it on for long though,

Black on white:

bLACKOUT.jpg

Orange:
ORANFEEE.jpg

Gunmetal next dip:

Guymental.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic mate where did you buy your plastidip from. And how much did it cost

Thanks, bought from Plasti dip uk. Didn't use cans, you can but it's more expensive. £90 for 5 litres of plasti dip and about £20 for 5Litres of thinner of ebay. Already had a spray gun from painting the house (£50). Which makes about 10 Litres which is not enough, if going from dark to light. Order some Gunmetal for the new year, 5 littres should be enough because it's a dark colour.

looking good.
it does look like you need another coat to even it out on the back and front or its the photos making it look a bit patchy.
PDuk sent me 5 liters of gun metal, no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Don't forget to recycle the white or give it to me :)

I didn't know it was Recyclable! Would it not be contaminated with dirt? White is pretty hard to clean. Oh really, what was it meant for?

I didn't know it was Recyclable! Would it not be contaminated with dirt? White is pretty hard to clean. Oh really, what was it meant for?

You need to filter it before spraying but so far it worked well.
Just make sure it's fully broken down and mixed.

No idea. I never ordered it.
Need to wait for the weather to get better then ill use it on something.

Do fluorescent red next.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354407184941.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354407184941.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 255
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354407274914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354407274914.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 268
Really...? I don't see how a filter could separate like a petrol stain. You lucky... how did that happen? Free dip! You might as well sell it on at a discounted price :ninja: Just suggestion :p

Haha nahh, I'm keeping it. I'll find a use.

Your right bout the stain, I don't know really.
I heard petrol melts dip, if this is true you won't have a stain.
But you should mix recycled dip with new any way.

Sprayed the cheap wing mirror cap with matte clear plasti dip, almost looks like the real aluminum ones.

Wing1.jpg

Not only have you de-valued your car but that wonky rear number plate would drive me nuts!

Because I would never buy a dipped or previously dipped car! Don't know about anyone else.

53 Plate with 170k miles... safe to say I'm the last owner, I don't plan to ever sell the car, gonna drive it until it gives up lol.

Cheer mate, yh not too bad considering the price. I wish the pearlizer would come to UK already

Wouldn't buy a dipped car because:-
  • Can't imagine the quality being any good,
  • I bet there's loads of areas with original paint colour, inside doors and edge of door handles etc,
  • I like to regularly wash my car to get it shinning,
Wouldn't buy a previously dipped car:-
  • Because personally wouldn't want anything sprayed over my car,
And nobody would pay the same price for ibis white car as a dipped white car, thus de-valuing the car,
only thing is if someone couldn't tell if it was dipped like you said.

53 Plate with 170k miles... safe to say I'm the last owner, I don't plan to ever sell the car, gonna drive it until it gives up lol.

Cheer mate, yh not too bad considering the price. I wish the pearlizer would come to UK already

It will.
We are just a bit behind.
I wish we had their prices.
I could play a bit more then.

Surely getting it dipped would protect the paint under if the car got stone chipped wouldn't it not?
If it did then when you take the dip off before you sold it then surely it would potentially make the value less likely to decrease or am I wrong in thinking that?

Surely getting it dipped would protect the paint under if the car got stone chipped wouldn't it not?
If it did then when you take the dip off before you sold it then surely it would potentially make the value less likely to decrease or am I wrong in thinking that?

Correct.

Dipped and vinyl are very much alike in that they protect the paint from stone chips, scratches and UV damage.
Neither of them leave any negative residue when remove.

If you got enough time and money, I can't see any reason why you can't spend 2-3 days detailing your car and then do 2-3 coats of clear to protect the car until you are at the show.
Remove the dip when you arrive at the show to show a clean car with out the need of washing again......That's the theory any way. lol

Yeah im getting my front bumper resprayed because its covered in stone chips because of many long journeys back and forth from germany to uk so Im thinking I might plasti dip the front end while travelling... Sounds easy enough.

Because I would never buy a dipped or previously dipped car! Don't know about anyone else.

I always used to think like this as thought the dipping might be hiding something. All that changed when I was looking at RS4's when I found one that had been plasti-dipped in gunmetal. Original colour was Sprint Blue and it was as though it had been driven out of the factory. It was immaculate. And thats why he dipped it.....so as to preserve the beauty of the beast.

I always used to think like this as thought the dipping might be hiding something. All that changed when I was looking at RS4's when I found one that had been plasti-dipped in gunmetal. Original colour was Sprint Blue and it was as though it had been driven out of the factory. It was immaculate. And thats why he dipped it.....so as to preserve the beauty of the beast.

I know what your saying but he has hidden the beauty of the car while in has possession for someone else to enjoy, no thanks,
Its just my opinion every time I opened the doors, boot, filler cap, door handles, bonnet I would see the join and it would just start to annoy me, and all seems a bit of a bodge spraying outside on your drive, car don't get sprayed in booths for no reason.
Anyone is welcome to do what they want but its not for me, like the photo above has been sprayed with the number plate on which is wonky and he can straighten it up because of the dip, it all seems a very temporary approach I can under stand as a temp stone chip method on front bumper and bonnet other than that I feel is a total waste of money

I know what your saying but he has hidden the beauty of the car while in has possession for someone else to enjoy, no thanks,
Its just my opinion every time I opened the doors, boot, filler cap, door handles, bonnet I would see the join and it would just start to annoy me, and all seems a bit of a bodge spraying outside on your drive, car don't get sprayed in booths for no reason.
Anyone is welcome to do what they want but its not for me, like the photo above has been sprayed with the number plate on which is wonky and he can straighten it up because of the dip, it all seems a very temporary approach I can under stand as a temp stone chip method on front bumper and bonnet other than that I feel is a total waste of money

I feel you're missing the point of the dip.
It's not a permanent colour change.
It main application is for a quick cheap colour change sane are vinyl wrap but with benefits over wrap.

If you did dip your car cause you want protection, make a statement/support (i was tempted to dip mine fluorescent pink for breast cancer) or a quick colour/pattern change for show season, there is nothing stopping you from doing the bits you mentioned.

It's not a bodge doing it on your drive. Nothing wrong with it, not everyone has access to booths or units.
It works well and acceptable.

I was wondering if anybody could actually help me with dipping and UK law! I really do love the idea of Plastidip and have used it on my mirrors and grille...

However in the UK; if you fully dip your car just like how 'Sniper' has, do you need to report a colour change to the DVLA or anywhere else or as its temporary different law applies?

I would imagine you would have to inform them cause you are still changing the colour of your car plus the DVLA is linked to police checks so if there car had ANP in and they drove past you it would be probably say your car is 1 colour when if you've dipped it, it would be another colour. If change it on DVLA to save any kind of hassle