HID Kits

Jonathaan

Quattro
Reaction score
I know they can damage the car's wiper motor - but i am digging deep to try and find a solution...

Was looking @ some old forum posts on here and somebody mentioned buying some from a seller called "hids4u" on eBay.

I am currently messaging him as he re-assures me his kits do not damage the car.

His kits come with an additional harness which eliminates the voltage spike on initial start up.

I am waiting to see if he will give me a guarantee if the wiper motor gets damaged as a result of installing his kit.

Will keep you all posted,

-Jonny

I doubt they will because essentially if you wiper motor stops through something unrelated they're guaranteeing that too. Thought it's highly unlikely the wiper motor will fail though in normal use.

Very interesting to hear more info on this.

Struggling to understand why his kits have an extra 'harness' and all the others wouldn't though!? Seems fairly logical to protect wiper motors on all cars if possible.

Very interesting to hear more info on this.

Struggling to understand why his kits have an extra 'harness' and all the others wouldn't though!? Seems fairly logical to protect wiper motors on all cars if possible.

When i have being speaking to "hids4u" he stated that other cars have this issue aswell - not just the Audi.

When i have being speaking to "hids4u" he stated that other cars have this issue aswell - not just the Audi.

Bear in mind that hids4u themselves say this :-

"In the UK, fitting any aftermarket HID kit is not technically road legal as you are replacing a halogen bulb with an HID bulb, because of this the HID bulb cannot be E marked, which is a requirement for it to be road legal, but as our kits do not change the beam pattern we have not had any issue about glare and they have never failed an MOT. Some MOT testers have mentioned about the brightness/colour but this is totally down to the discretion of the individual tester. The light output is very similar to the higher range cars on the road today."

That was in reply to a customer !!

Of course, you may wish to ignore that, but at least you know !

Good news ladies :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354039602665587

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354039610564524

AIUI the only kits that knacker the wiper motor are CANBUS ones, buy a non CANBUS kit and code the car with VCDS and all will be fine.

Much brighter and whiter light, but don’t fit anything higher than 4,300K if you want a pure white light (no chavvy blue).

Ahhh, so there are some HIDs that don`t fry every other motorists retinas!

These should indeed be ilegal but if some versions dont affect other drivers and improve visibility then why arent they legal, in fact why are they not an OEM option? (better than std lamps but cheaper than Zenons..)

Ahhh, so there are some HIDs that don`t fry every other motorists retinas!

These should indeed be ilegal but if some versions dont affect other drivers and improve visibility then why arent they legal, in fact why are they not an OEM option? (better than std lamps but cheaper than Zenons..)

HIDs and xenons are the same

HIDs and xenons are the same

+1

When factory fitted they call them Xenon’s, retro fit are called HID’s or Xenons, they are basically the same thing.

As to them blinding oncoming motorists, if they are fitted to protector headlights and set up properly they will be fine.

+1

When factory fitted they call them Xenon’s, retro fit are called HID’s or Xenons, they are basically the same thing.

As to them blinding oncoming motorists, if they are fitted to protector headlights and set up properly they will be fine.

It's just a shame that 99% of people who have these HID kits fitted to reflector/projector headlamps don't even bother to have the headlamp aim realigned after they have been fitted. Don't know about you lot, but I for one do not enjoy being blinded.

It's just a shame that 99% of people who have these HID kits fitted to reflector/projector headlamps don't even bother to have the headlamp aim realigned after they have been fitted. Don't know about you lot, but I for one do not enjoy being blinded.

I got dazzled by a chav'd up Saxo with HID headlights and fog lights. Took my attention off the road as a result and Bang, into another car. Not a great day! I for one, am not a fan.

Reactions: tosh4tyres
I want HID's so i have a brighter light for the roads?

Like all these new modern cars are going away from Halogen as the light output is no where near as good as HID/Xenon/Bi-Xenon.

He has replied back stating he will guarantee as long as my motor is not already damaged. He mentioned something about a 25% Discount code, of which this will bring price down to around £120.

I am aware you can get kits @ around £40, and also people say go OEM and upgrade - but i am not prepared to spend Stupid money on some lights.

That's the problem, you want them because they're brighter. However you're fitting them into headlights that weren't designed with HID's in mind and so are willing to risk blinding other people and hence putting their safety in danger because of it.

That's the problem, you want them because they're brighter. However you're fitting them into headlights that weren't designed with HID's in mind and so are willing to risk blinding other people and hence putting their safety in danger because of it.

Anti Glare lamps.

Any thing that makes driving safer and provides the owner with something that he/she thinks looks `cooler` then I am all for that.
My concern is the increasing number of anti social and dangerous use of these kits.

Cars with these kits incorrectly fitted completley dazzle your field of vision, oncoing, and could easily (if not already) lead to serious accident or worse.

So some of these kits are safe and legal though?

The only way there legal is if there fitted to a car with washers and auto levelling headlamps and obviously the beam pattern has to be correct

Reactions: Jay.Ing
As a minimum you want the "h7r" reflector style bulbs which provide some cut off with a ceramic coating on the bulb itself, designed for open reflector lights like the A3.

There is always the risk of wiper motor failure using aftermarket ballasts though. The ballasts don't have to be genuine AUDI, I'm using some BMW ones, made by BOSCH but the internals will be of the same quality as the VAG units.

As MikeMC said, unless you fit headlight autoleveling and headlight washers it will be illegal, doesnt matter if the bulb has a CE mark or not. Why do you thing all cars that have OEM xennons have headlight washers fitted? Its not a coincidence, its because dirt/mud on the light lens alters the beam.

In my experience a film of dirt on the headlight just dulls it. The reason they have self-levelling and washers is to conform to EU regs - I understand the logic but their necessity IMO is arguable. An out of aligned halogen light can be just as dazzling. And I've lost count now of the amount of OEM xenons that blind due to the baseline beam height being too high, Porsches are bad for it as are some Mercs.

I dont see how this has escalated from compatibility to legality ?

I dont see how this has escalated from compatibility to legality ?

It's quite simple - you are planning something not legal. If it's not in accordance with current UK regulations then you should be aware of it !

Should you wish to ignore the rules then that is up to you but as long as we inform you then you cannot plead ignorance !

Basically Jonathaan, what you are proposing to do is not acceptable to UK regs. even if you retro-fit self-levelling and headlamp washers.

If you don't fit them, then you are also being irresponsible and risking other road users.

Sorry !

I am quite aware of this,

So if people who refuse to help the HID issue and simply say upgrade to OEM, they also are advising an ilegal move? in regards to the washers as they come out of the bumper dont they, which are not included in the sale of the OEM headlights?

Have you ordered these yet? I'd be interested to know if they will work. I bet most people would upgrade to these instead of the OEM xenons too. And before this turns into another argument about hids, yeah you've been warned but you could be using these offroad

I am quite aware of this,

So if people who refuse to help the HID issue and simply say upgrade to OEM, they also are advising an ilegal move? in regards to the washers as they come out of the bumper dont they, which are not included in the sale of the OEM headlights?

OEM are not aftermarket 'kits' and are, therefore not illegal. Factory fit also have self-levelling and washers because regulations require it.

You will no doubt do what you want but don't, ***, affect other road users.!!

OEM are not aftermarket 'kits' and are, therefore not illegal.

They can still be fitted illegally, how many people who retrofit the Audi xenons install washers(new bumper required) and autolevelers. You must be looking at almost a grand to retrofit OEM xenons.

They can still be fitted illegally, how many people who retrofit the Audi xenons install washers(new bumper required) and autolevelers. You must be looking at almost a grand to retrofit OEM xenons.

Correct, so don't do it unless you can afford to do it properly and legally !!

Please don't include an edited quote in your reply when the whole quote needs to be understood !

OEM are not aftermarket 'kits' and are, therefore not illegal. Factory fit also have self-levelling and washers because regulations require it.

You will no doubt do what you want but don't, ***, affect other road users.!!

If i was to buy a set of GENUINE projector bi/xenon headlights they would not come with washer jets... so would still be illegal that is my point.