White / grey smoke

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Further to my poor MPG post,I'm beginning to wonder if I should get the car checked over.
When I pulled up at some lights the other night,I noticed a cloud of white/grey smoke wafting up the back window and I noticed the same white/grey smoke when I pulled away.It's not a massive cloud like a blown engine,but still noticeable and a tad embarrassing as I've no doubt the people behind me were wondering why a new car was doing that.
Now my A4 would sometimes eminate the same colour smoke on start up (especially when hot) but never on the move (or not that I noticed).
Any ideas ??

mines a confirmed smoker.

If I rag it all the time it's fine. However, if I drive it gently for >30 miles and then boff it, the sky turns black.

VW never did it.

[ QUOTE ]
mines a confirmed smoker.

If I rag it all the time it's fine. However, if I drive it gently for >30 miles and then boff it, the sky turns black.

VW never did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef, that's the new built in 'Cloak screen' for evading the chasing cops. It's an expensive option on the VW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Further to my poor MPG post,I'm beginning to wonder if I should get the car checked over.
When I pulled up at some lights the other night,I noticed a cloud of white/grey smoke wafting up the back window and I noticed the same white/grey smoke when I pulled away.It's not a massive cloud like a blown engine,but still noticeable and a tad embarrassing as I've no doubt the people behind me were wondering why a new car was doing that.
Now my A4 would sometimes eminate the same colour smoke on start up (especially when hot) but never on the move (or not that I noticed).
Any ideas ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer. For several weeks my A3 has been getting better on fuel, and then the last 3 days over the same routes it's been pants, can't understand it.

I only notice smoke on mine when i reverse it ( up hill ) into the garage. But then again I'm usually looking forwards when i'm driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Black smoke is fine with diesels, but white??? Isn't that burning engine lube oil?

Just like the old vauxhall viva I follow to work some days.

I get the grey smoke as well. I've got straight tail pipes which may make it look worse.

Indeed I had my A3 TDI 2.0 on the rollers a couple of weeks back (187bhp and 273lbs/ft if anyone is interested) and when Jim at Star Performance took the foot off it smoked grey for a good few seconds.

A few people there thought there was something up with my motor as well but I dont think so!

You come to expect it when you've had a diesel for a few years. They all do it unless you give a good thrash every so often then you don't get as much. Nothing to worry about.

I have the same issue with my Audi A6 3.0 TDI its on a 55 plate and on a occasions it does bellow out white smoke which is very noticable and also has a distictive smell as well, it doesnt do it all the time but when it does people tend to turn around and look,
I have not had the car long and am not sure if this is normal or if i need to get the car checked out.

Any advise?

White smoke usually indecates it's burning water. Check your coolant level, could be head gasket.

I have checked my coolant leval and it looks fine, Just took the car out on a short Journey and no sign of the white smoke this time, but will keep an eye out to see if it re-occurs, if it is the turbo what other tell tail signs are there to confirm the turbo is on its way out likewise if its the Gasket, What type of cost am i looking at to get either repaired?

Thanks