Chris NottAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

White / grey smoke

Further to my poor MPG post,I'm beginning to wonder if I should get the car checked over.
    When I pulled up at some lights the other night,I noticed a cloud of white/grey smoke wafting up the back window and I noticed the same white/grey smoke when I pulled away.It's not a massive cloud like a blown engine,but still noticeable and a tad embarrassing as I've no doubt the people behind me were wondering why a new car was doing that.
    Now my A4 would sometimes eminate the same colour smoke on start up (especially when hot) but never on the move (or not that I noticed).
    Any ideas ??

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status

Re: White / grey smoke

mines a confirmed smoker.

If I rag it all the time it's fine. However, if I drive it gently for >30 miles and then boff it, the sky turns black.

VW never did it.

Top Gear

Status

Same with mine.. Diesels are great aren't they?!

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    mines a confirmed smoker.

If I rag it all the time it's fine. However, if I drive it gently for >30 miles and then boff it, the sky turns black.

VW never did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef, that's the new built in 'Cloak screen' for evading the chasing cops. It's an expensive option on the VW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Further to my poor MPG post,I'm beginning to wonder if I should get the car checked over.
    When I pulled up at some lights the other night,I noticed a cloud of white/grey smoke wafting up the back window and I noticed the same white/grey smoke when I pulled away.It's not a massive cloud like a blown engine,but still noticeable and a tad embarrassing as I've no doubt the people behind me were wondering why a new car was doing that.
    Now my A4 would sometimes eminate the same colour smoke on start up (especially when hot) but never on the move (or not that I noticed).
    Any ideas ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer. For several weeks my A3 has been getting better on fuel, and then the last 3 days over the same routes it's been pants, can't understand it.

I only notice smoke on mine when i reverse it ( up hill ) into the garage. But then again I'm usually looking forwards when i'm driving [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Black smoke is fine with diesels, but white??? Isn't that burning engine lube oil?

Just like the old vauxhall viva I follow to work some days.

Neutral

Status

I get the grey smoke as well. I've got straight tail pipes which may make it look worse.

Indeed I had my A3 TDI 2.0 on the rollers a couple of weeks back (187bhp and 273lbs/ft if anyone is interested) and when Jim at Star Performance took the foot off it smoked grey for a good few seconds.

A few people there thought there was something up with my motor as well but I dont think so!

Top Gear

Status

You come to expect it when you've had a diesel for a few years. They all do it unless you give a good thrash every so often then you don't get as much. Nothing to worry about.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have the same issue with my Audi A6 3.0 TDI its on a 55 plate and on a occasions it does bellow out white smoke which is very noticable and also has a distictive smell as well, it doesnt do it all the time but when it does people tend to turn around and look,
    I have not had the car long and am not sure if this is normal or if i need to get the car checked out.

Any advise?

MPP
    Neutral

Status
    White smoke usually indecates it's burning water. Check your coolant level, could be head gasket.
    2005 A3 2.0 TDi sport.
    2000 Saab 9-3T - 347bhp

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have checked my coolant leval and it looks fine, Just took the car out on a short Journey and no sign of the white smoke this time, but will keep an eye out to see if it re-occurs, if it is the turbo what other tell tail signs are there to confirm the turbo is on its way out likewise if its the Gasket, What type of cost am i looking at to get either repaired?

Thanks

Nastich
    55 A6 3.0 TDI SLINE