What type of diesel do you use and is it worth the extra money ?

Magicmart

Reaction score
Hay everyone as some of you know I'm new to this forum and have recently bought an 2.0tdi s line which I'm loving btw, never owned a diesel before. So what diesel do people use and do they notice a different s ie supermarket petrol has always been know as iffy is supermarket diesel just as iffy as there petrol. What types of diesel Do you guys and girls use I will be trying shell v power is it worth the extra penny's ?? And on the same note doses anyone use any additives

I put v power in about 1 in four at the moment and I think it makes the other fill ups more fuel efficient but I'm talking by minuscule amounts. Just like to give my baby a drink of the good stuff every now and then. I averaged 55 mpg for the last whole tank of v power and got 530 miles out of it.

1.9 tdi e remapped.

Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, comes from the same refinery as everywhere else.

I generally use V power if its not too over the top expensive. Otherwise normal shell diesel unless tesco is cheaper lol.
Additives are usually useless and do fk all, but you can get a product called KB44 for patrol or diesel which will give inner parts a good clean every now and then

Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, comes from the same refinery as everywhere else.

Hmm, my old Golf mk5 140 smoked like a ****** if you gave it Tesco diesel. You could also smell it as well if you got out the car.

You think I want to put that stuff in my A3 which has a DPF on it? All that black smoke will just be going into the filter.

For the A3 I prefer BP Ultimate or VPower but will go with standard Shell, BP or Esso if pushed. Although be careful that unscrupulous garages haven't been lowering the price of their premium diesel lately. Have seen places where instead of being a few p more a litre its nearer 10p!

Last edited:

Supermarket fuel is not the same, may come from the same refinery but it certainly doesnt contain the extra additives the brand names do.

I use shell, less smoke and more mpg from big brands, that's my experience.

I spent 3+ years working for a 'priemium' brand petrol station.

The amount of average joes that came in about supermarket fuel being of an insufficient quality was outrageous. Fuel filters, injectors, fuel lines blocked. AA,RAC or dealers etc telling them this no doubt.

The tanker drivers confirm, it's from the same depots etc, but before the preimum branded lorries leave, the additive is put in.

So the fuel is exactly the same before this, and therefore it cannot be anything else. The additives make a difference.

In reality, a mad scientist needs to have a butchers and test this, but going from just sheer numbers of people I've come across, use premium fuel.

Additionally V Power and BP Ultimate are produced using a different process called "gas to liquid". They are not "standard" fuels.

Tried most of them (except Morrisons … heard too many horror stories on VAG engines) in our 170CR 2.0 TDi’s (one is remapped)

I get better MPG on Tesco’s than anything else, Shell Fuelsave (the std stuff) is next then Sainsburys / ASDA about equal and the worst of all was V power!.

The car runs the same, no noticeable difference in power, no smoke at all from any of them (with a DPF), so the only difference is what is left in your wallet after filling up!

Petrol is a different ball game altogether though.

Tesco Devil DERV juice is what our A3 runs on and all our previous dervs have been run on the same for the last 15 years. One thing to note though, I have changed the Diesel filter more often than recommended, just in case. As for more miles per gallon on the premium fuels, yes I would agree on that but economically speaking it is cheaper to use Supermarket fuels.

no smoke at all from any of them (with a DPF), so the only difference is what is left in your wallet after filling up!

Well obviously any of the black bits in the smoke are heading into the DPF and are also coking up the engine.

As I said, the Tesco fuel caused my old Golf to smoke which makes me very wary of using it on a car with a DPF.

I also used the same brands on a PD105 Golf (no DPF) and guess what… that didn’t smoke either (even after fitting a Dragon Digital tuning box on it) the Golf also had about 160K miles on it when we sold it, I serviced it regularly but it was also on variable servicing so oil changes were around 18K mile intervals, yet there was no signs of the oil being coked up or any sludge forming in it at all.

There goes a separate rumour that variable servicing is not doing an engine any favours. :shrug:

The two closest garages to me are a BP and Morrison's. I've filled up with both from completely empty and I'm certain my car (mapped 2.0 TDI) runs better on the BP fuel, also seems to get a very small amount more miles to the gallon. So I bypass supermarket fuel and use BP!

I just finished a tank off of tesco fuel, now put a tank of total excillium in, at 1.47 a litre :( it to me seems to run a lot smoother, don't think I'll pay for the cheap stuff again unless I'm close to empty and need fuel desperate, then ill only put a £10 in wait till I see a shell/total/bp

I've not long started filling up with Shell diesel extra (dont get v power diesel at my local shell station, only get it for petrol) and i have noticed the engine is quieter and runs smoother, no difference in performance though. I used to use BP diesel but my local BP station shut for a few months so i moved to esso and then moved to shell which i think is the best i've tried. I'm thinking of going back to BP to try the ultimate diesel as i've heard you will notice a bit of boost performance wise, is there anyone else on here to back this theory up? I will never use supermarket fuel though as the lack of additives make it like pouring white cider into your fuel tank, many mechanics have told me to stick with big brands eg Shell, BP etc

Try to only use BP normal Diesel but sometimes use Sainsburys as its next to my works

Use 300ml of 2 stroke oil in a full tank too :happy:

Used to smoke a bit before using 2 stroke but no more

2.0TDI BKD with 116,000miles

usual BP diesel, get about 340 miles from a tank. 2.0tdi bkd

Does anybody use them fuel additives that says " cleans your injectors" etc etc, forgot the name I think car lube make it?

Try to only use BP normal Diesel but sometimes use Sainsburys as its next to my works

Use 300ml of 2 stroke oil in a full tank too :happy:

Used to smoke a bit before using 2 stroke but no more

2.0TDI BKD with 116,000miles
you add oil to your heavy oil? ...and that stops it smoking??

Supermarket fuel is not the same, may come from the same refinery but it certainly doesnt contain the extra additives the brand names do.

I use shell, less smoke and more mpg from big brands, that's my experience.

This.^^^^^ Ask Tesco why they had to remove claims of being as good as the rest a few years ago.........its all in the additiives.

\\Kevin

you add oil to your heavy oil? ...and that stops it smoking??

Burns cleaner and lubes all the fuel parts since they stopped adding sulphur to diesel

There are some threads on here about it somewhere...

the closest pump at the time the lights comes on , never notice any difference between brand name or supermarket

An I the only one that doesn't notice a difference between them all. I use Tesco/BP/Shell/Asda and I always get the same mpg and performance.