Cruise controll does not work.

heap1000

Reaction score
I have had my Audi A3 2.0 tdi for only a couple of days and I tried the cruise control only for nothing happen. I pulled the stick forward and then pressed the button but nothing. No light on the dash either.
Is this a common fault and how easy is it to fix?

Thanks

What year is your A3 mate, and is it the split grille or single grille?

Hi it is a 2004 and a split grille (I am sure it is, can't see the front of it at the moment.)

Hi it is a 2004 and a split grille (I am sure it is, can't see the front of it at the moment.)

Thought that may be the case. If retrofitted, it will not function in the correct manner. The set and resume wirk differently.
To set, you need to pull the stalk forward, then click the stalk down.
And to resume your speed, you simply click the stalk up. To accelerate or go slower, then the functions are that of the way in the stalk.

I did try pulling, pushing and clicking in all ways I could and nothing. Will try again in the morning.

I did try pulling, pushing and clicking in all ways I could and nothing. Will try again in the morning.

Keep us updated mate. May need it scanning, could be a number or things. If your in London, I could try to help you out.

Thanks for the offer mate but I am in Carnforth near lancaster/kendal.

Thought that may be the case. If retrofitted, it will not function in the correct manner. The set and resume wirk differently.
To set, you need to pull the stalk forward, then click the stalk down.
And to resume your speed, you simply click the stalk up. To accelerate or go slower, then the functions are that of the way in the stalk.

If it's a low-line module it won't work at all will it ?

If it's a low-line module it won't work at all will it ?

Yes your right Mike, but I am on about the 1K0 modules that support Cruise but work the alternative way mate.
But if the cruise was installed at factory, then my assumption would lean towards the clutch or break light switch.

Yes your right Mike, but I am on about the 1K0 modules that support Cruise but work the alternative way mate.
But if the cruise was installed at factory, then my assumption would lean towards the clutch or break light switch.

Yes Danny, I realise that's the 'mode' you were on about. My first effort at CC used that method when I retro-fitted to a 1K0 module rev AF.

I would question whether the CC has ever worked unless it was factory fitted because a couple of years ago I tried to code a 2004 after the control wire was fitted and even tried my 'AF' module as a replacement but it never worked !

I agree that if it was factory fitted then it must be switching problem.

It needs VCDS to diagnose !

Ahh, sorry Mike, yeah I see what your saying. That is also a possibility, that it has been retrofitted but not to, at least a midline. Guess if he has and can confirm he has the trip computer, we can then establish that at least he has a module that supports it.

Ahh, sorry Mike, yeah I see what your saying. That is also a possibility, that it has been retrofitted but not to, at least a midline. Guess if he has and can confirm he has the trip computer, we can then establish that at least he has a module that supports it.

I see he's 'clocked-off ' at the moment. We've probably either sent him loopy or sent him to sleep !!

Let's see if he gets back to us again. If he's in Carnforth then surely someone up there may be able to help ?

Still here guys. Car has had 2 previous owners, and to be honest I can't see them retro fitting it (2 women). I don't have the trip computer and I have only ever seen the lights for the boot/bonnet/doors open on that display. Thanks

Have a look on the vcds section user map for someone in your area to scan it for you. We really need to see any fault codes and also steering module part number.

Also worth checking with a previous owner as to whether it ever worked (sorry but sometimes the obvious is overlooked ! )

Just re-read your post - when you say pulled towards you and pressed the button that is not how to get it working in the alternative mode.

You pull the stick towards you and then flick downwards to set. The button on the end does nothing !