loosing the plot. someone please help with audio install.

nige.m

Reaction score
good evening guys.
I am starting to loose the will to live with an audio change.
I have a A3 2008 sline. it has a double din concert head unit. a aux socket and a ipod dock in glove box. and i wish to fit A JVC double din head unit.

I don't use an ipod

i have taken the concert out and this is what i have

20121124 162513

i believe this to be quad-lock.

i also have
T1 Audio T1AD002-JVC Audi A3 A4 TT Steering Wheel Interface Adaptor | eBay

with a JVC patch lead.
I also have a aerial adapter.

when i put this in i get nothing. it says in the jvc book to swap the red and yellow around on their wiring this also gives nothing.

please help i am sure i am doing something wrong.

cheers

Nige M

First thing is to check your fuses. There should be one in the car for the stereo, and there may be one on the back of the head unit or on the harness. If you have a volt meter, check for +12v on the red and yellow wires.

By the looks of your quadlock u have a rear amp'd non bose sound system? With the lead you have you shouldn't need to wire your own ignition source the lead does it for u

"Steering Wheel Control interfaces allow plug and play installation of an aftermarket head unit into a vehicle whilst maintaining use of the steering wheel controls. Interfaces designed for CAN-Bus vehicles also provide the following additional features: Ignition 12V, Illumination, Speedpulse, Reverse and Park Brake."

So with that in mind i have a few questions:

- Did your old stereo work properly?
- Did you take out the old one and connect the new one all without the ignition or any power on in the car?
- Did you plug your RCA leads on the lead into the correct outputs on the back of the JVC unit?
- Do you know if your JVC unit actually works? (Is it new?)

Also just so u know, ur original aux input and ipod input are redundant now and have no use, they only work with the factory unit. If your anywhere near south west london i could help u with the install

Hi thanks for the reply's. fuses all good both car and head unit.

stereo worked fine till day i took it out
no power on removal and replacement
rca leads in right place

i know about ipod and aux i dont use them any way.

i ma sure i am missing some thing with the red sand yellow wires.

sorry i am in plymouth so too far away thanks for the offer though.

There's not much to miss with the red and yellow wires- when the ignition is on, both should be +12 volts. Can you plug your stock head unit back in and see if it powers up? If so, the problem is either with your harness or JVC unit. Even better if you could check the voltage on the red and yellow coming from the new harness.

Can u take pics of ur wiring with everythin connected as u had it? I might be able to help u from there

OK i will try this tomorrow. and post them up.
cheers