Windscreen Wiper help?

Bailey

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Bit of a problem this morning, I came down to the bottom of the garden to start up the car and it was a bit frosty. I pulled the windscreen wipers away from the windscreen itself as they were frozen to the screen and in doing so with the driver side one there was a cracking noise.

So I then started my car up to test the windscreen wipers and the passenger side one works perfectly but the drivers side one is completely dead and doesn't move at all.

Is this the linkage which has broken? How do I check? If so roughly how much is the replacement part?

My car is a 2005 2.0 TDI

Cheers

Bailey

Could be the fixing arm nut has come undone. Remove the plastic cover at base of arm to expose the nut.
Do not over tighten. It may take a few times to make sure the wiper sweeps the screen properly up to the A pillar.

Could be the fixing arm nut has come undone. Remove the plastic cover at base of arm to expose the nut.
Do not over tighten. It may take a few times to make sure the wiper sweeps the screen properly up to the A pillar.

Ok I will check this thanks for the info. Do you think it sounds like I would need to remove the scuttle panel to check the mechanism?

Cheers

Bailey

Not sure, but on a 2009 car, no need to remove any panels, just take off the small plastic cap at the base of wiper arm.

Not sure, but on a 2009 car, no need to remove any panels, just take off the small plastic cap at the base of wiper arm.

Ok thanks for the advise, I should be getting it looked at this morning

Bailey

How did you get on?

You were right, it was the wiper nut, I feel such an idiot right about now as it just needed tightening! Thank you so much for your help MrLapou, you are a star! :)

Regards

Bailey