A3 is this a classic sign the DMF is on its way out

Easygoingdave

Reaction score
Today I took an immaculate 2004 A3 Tdi 2Ltr with only 49K on the clock and full audi service history for a test drive. The car was a joy to drive and I must admit I am smitten with it. However, prior to taking it out on the road, I checked for DMF wear. I depressed the clutch and the dreaded knocking was heard (not loud) but definitely there, when I released the clutch it stopped. I did this several times to make sure and each time I heard the knocking. I spoke to the salesman and he assured me that nothing was amiss and was quite happy to give me 6 months warranty. I took the car out on the road and everything seem to be okay. When I returned to the garage, I put the car in neutral and depressed the clutch, expecting to hear the knocking noise but it wasn't there!
Is this a classic sign of the DMF on its way out? i.e. Can hear a knocking sound when cold but once the car has warmed up it disappears.
Thanks in anticipation:crying:

If the DMF is not long of this earth when cold, on idle it will sound not too dissimilar to a skeleton having pleasuring himself in a biscuit tin. Well thats what my old Golf GT TDI 170 sounded like when cold.

Strangely Brown
thank you for your graphic description; because I haven't heard a skeleton pleasuring himself in a biscuit tin, do you mean if the DMF is on its way out the noise will remain whether the car is cold or warm? :think:

Sorry i was trying to be funny :)

I found that the sound was only on startup and did go after the car was up to temperature but there was some vibration through the clutch peddle when changing gear. The one symptom i did find strange was when changing down gears from 3-2 there was a slight hesitation in the clutch peddle returning.

WRT the warranty. Read the terms and conditions VERY carefully as most companies consider DMF and clutch failure to be fair acceptable wear and tare/consumable item and as such it is not covered under warranty.

My advice would be to negotiate hard with the price and factor the cost of replacement (circa £800) into the amount you agree on. Personally i would walk away if they don't want to at least meet you half way on the cost.

Two things:

As SB says negotiate the price with that taken into account.

Second, you don't need a 6 month warranty, if the DMF goes within 6 months the Sale of Goods Act considers the fault to have been there at the point of sale and therefore the seller is liable (or has to prove it wasn't there).

The grey area is that if you discuss the DMF going with the seller and they drop the price, I think the law considers it to have been "sold as seen" and you bought it knowing you might have the issue, which makes point one, very, very, important.

Guys
Thanks for the excellent feedback and advice. Because of the low mileage and service record, I will probably buy the car, but I will ensure that the warranty includes the DMF replacement and therefore, will not negotiate a reduction in price. However, I have read on other blogs that although there are signs the DMF is on the way out it can last atleast another 50k before giving up. With that in mind after I have bought it, I will take it to my local audi dealer for a 2nd opinion.

Strangely Brown, I enjoyed your descriptive prose regarding the noise!