Help!!! Annoyingly loud squeal/screech

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, please can anyone help me??

I have a 2009 S3 S Tronic with 50k on the clock. For the last 2 weeks I am getting a more and more frequently loud squeal/screech coming from the engine bay after say 10-15 mins of driving.

It only happens 'off-throttle' and almost always (75% of the time) when I slow down to pull up to a set of lights or roundabout etc. It squeals/screeches for about 2-3 secs then goes away. This used to happen at very slow speeds but now it is happening whenever I start slowing down.

The problem I have is that I cannot get the car to make the sound on my driveway, nor do I have enough time to jump out at a set of lights to pin-point exactly where in the engine the sound is coming from. It is quite embarrassing especially when driving through town centres!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Oh and just to add that I have tried driving with aircon on and off, heat on and off, fans on/off and it makes this sound regardless. I have got the car booked in but knowing my luck it wont do it whilst it is at Audi but sods law says it will do it on my way home when I pick it up.

Please help as this is very annoying and I want it sorted.

Thanks

Last edited:

100% definitely not brakes.... I also get the noise if I am 'coasting' down hill. By that I mean not accelerating or braking just rolling. The noise is sometimes present when I am at a standstill (having just stopped) but as I said in my earlier post this occurs for no more than 2 secs.

Don't know if this would cause it, but did you get the gearbox oil and filter done at 40000?

If happening at standstill, surely a belt of some kind slipping.

Martay,

I am thinking it is some kind of belt too but have absolutely no idea as to which one. Also someone mentioned aircon compressor but after searching on here I couldnt find anyone with a similar problem.

Does anyone know what belt would be making this noise in this circumstance. Also could it be the Aircon Compressor?

Any other suggestions welcome....

Last edited: