euro pressed plates ??

S3Frosty

Reaction score
hi all

has any one got any german pressed plates, if so where can i buy them

cheers

I was thinking of getting some made for mine but it seems like its debatable if they are legal or not.

Went with standard euro plates as I couldn't be ***** with being pulled over all the time just to have a discussion with the police on whether they were legal or not.

What ive got on my car. Legal pressed plates

Look at this on eBay:

Pressed UK LEGAL Number Plates FREE STICKY PADS Aluminium Metal Reflective.

http://bit.ly/ZTmvGU

I got mine from Dubmeister they are top Quality look spot on

They do say 100% legal but a quick google search will show you that people are still getting stopped and fined with the Dubmeister plates (rightly or wrongly). Once you do get fined its a pain in the rear to try and defend.

but then there are guys on here who drive around without a frot plate at all and not been stopped so seems to be the luck of the draw

one thing that upsets me is the maker and postcode on them, the rules state the plate must be marked, it doesn't say it has to be on the front!

Right guys bare with on this as I have a lot to say and make people aware about pressed plates.

i first bought some cheap eBay plates which had a slash through the 0 so obviously these were not legal and after about 6 months I got pulled, fined and told to remove.
so I spoke to dubmeister and was assured there plates are totally legal, with this I bought a set and was well happy, they looked amazing with all the marks and stamps needed.
After about 2 months I got pulled by traffic again, I argued that they conform in every way required. He didn't listen and asked me to remove them or appear in court in 14 days.
I rang dubmeister immediately and they firmed up that they are legal and the copper didn't know what he was talking about. I then rang dorset police and got through to his supervising officer who said he was one of his best officers and really knows his stuff. I explained everything and he then contacted dubmeister.
Came back to me the following day and said dubmeister were also saying they are legal.the day following that the crash team investigators turned up at my house to take measurements and chech every detail on them. After a wait of 2 weeks they came back to say they are 99% legal but withing the number plate legislation it says that the plates must not differ in texture.
all metal pressed plates are said tobe textured and therefore ilillegal

the only way the matter could be resolved is going to court but I was warned if I win great all these plates are legal. But if I lose they are then completely illegal and I did not want that to happen so dropped it. He basically said not many officers know that stipulation so most will get away with it but if I lost in court they would all then know

sorry for the essay

Useful story but the dvla/gov information says nothing about them not being textured. It even specifically states they can be 3D!!

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

The following is the supposed guidance from the government although whether this is the full ins and outs of "the law" I don't know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

the only thing I can see which the Dubmeister plates might fall down on is being "reflex reflective". I'm not a physicist so not sure if metal can be reflex reflective however to achieve the British Standard they test for reflectivity.

what is annoying is that to try and tidy the mess up someone has to end up going to court and no one is going to choose that over a relatively small fine. What's also annoying is that they carry on allowing Dubmeister to sell the plates when there is law to allow them to prosecute the issuer of the plates - I suspect as they don't want to get into a drawn out battle with a commercial entity

Im pro police but they need to clear the whole thing up one way or the other

Useful story but the dvla/gov information says nothing about them not being textured. It even specifically states they can be 3D!!

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

The following is the supposed guidance from the government although whether this is the full ins and outs of "the law" I don't know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

the only thing I can see which the Dubmeister plates might fall down on is being "reflex reflective". I'm not a physicist so not sure if metal can be reflex reflective however to achieve the British Standard they test for reflectivity.

what is annoying is that to try and tidy the mess up someone has to end up going to court and no one is going to choose that over a relatively small fine. What's also annoying is that they carry on allowing Dubmeister to sell the plates when there is law to allow them to prosecute the issuer of the plates - I suspect as they don't want to get into a drawn out battle with a commercial entity

Im pro police but they need to clear the whole thing up one way or the other

How comes it doesnt mention anything about the spacing.

i live in the isle of man alot of vw have the blue border german plates so theres no bother over here

just want the blue background with the D and my reg lol

but thank you all

There is a section which says about texture as it was photocopied, highlighted and sent to me as I also questioned it. For every argument I had they had n answer

Sounds like you got a real jobs worth there johnboy07. Have you had run in's with him before?

I had German plates on my Golf for years with no issues, but within months of having a set on my A3, I got pulled over a fined £60.

Now have a set from Dubmeister & not had any bother so far (touch wood).

I looked into this a while ago and ended up going for the Dubmeister legal ones which I have been very happy with and never pulled. For me too it seemed to come down to the reflectivity, the Dubmeister plates are reflective but whether they are as reflective as perspex plates, who knows.
I don't get the texture thing, is it the difference between perspex and pressed metal or are they saying there's a difference front to back on the pressed metal?
In the early 80s some UK cars used to come from the factory/dealers with pressed metal plates. Mainly fitted to utility vehicles, vans trucks and very often Council vehicles and they must have been legal, so I don't see the difference. My Wife's first car, done up by me for her passing her test, was a Mk1 Fiesta van, ex-council converted to a car and has factory pressed metal plates. There's also a Hospital local to me that still owns a truck from the 80s, still fitted witht he original pressed plates.
I think it's all a conspiracy, some government MP must have shares in the perspex plate industry or they just want to harrass car enthusiasts! What? the Police, never!

Been harrassed since I was 17 ;)

Reactions: S3Frosty
I have pressed plates without the manufacturer or BSAU etc (didn't go for dubmeister ones as my registration is only 5 letters long so wanted a shorter plate).

They just passed an MOT at Audi yesterday and if you look at MOT regulations there is nothing saying that this info has to be on the plates. They did try to implement it but had to withdraw it due to the actual law not being passed yet.

m4s06000301

May be worth throwing that back at a copper who decides to pull you?

I got the apparently legal dubmeister ones.

They say their legal as the numbers/letters are the right height, the right width and the right spacing between them. They also have their postcode in the bottom.

But, and a big but.

The law states that all plates are to made of PLASTIC CONSTRUCTION so immediately your ****ed and lost the argument with the police so need to pay the fine.

I havent been pulled with these yet, but on my thortle bodied saxo I was pulled for having french imutation plates a few times.

I got the apparently legal dubmeister ones.

They say their legal as the numbers/letters are the right height, the right width and the right spacing between them. They also have their postcode in the bottom.

But, and a big but.

The law states that all plates are to made of PLASTIC CONSTRUCTION so immediately your ****ed and lost the argument with the police so need to pay the fine.

I havent been pulled with these yet, but on my thortle bodied saxo I was pulled for having french imutation plates a few times.

any idea where it states they need to be plastic Tim? Not read that anywhere in my research so far

dam, i was going to treat myself to some plates for christmas.

I got pressed plates from DTUK earlier this year, and their supplier had gone to the trouble and expense of having them approved........consequently, they come with the BS approval number stamped in the corner of the plate, so i'm assuming that if I ever get pulled over, I just quote/show this to the officer and it's no fine.

Don't know if the Dubmeister ones have a BS number stamped or not ?

Dubmiester ones have a BS number printed on them. Not had a problem with them.
Got mine printed at Ultimate Dubs for about £20 or £25 quid. They probably do them at most shows at a discounted price.