A/c control facelift

tudy

Reaction score
Hi,i bought the 2010 a/c control to retrofit to my 06 audi a3
I read that it might not really work because of the rear blower motor or something like that
My car is north american model so im wondering if they are different from the ones in europe,or if someone managed to make this work
If not what else do i have to get in order to work properly?
Thanks for any help

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no it won't work. The change over to the newer type blower that is compatible with the facelift climate control happened midway through 2007. That is verified by the Bentley manual. I've also got an A3 in the US, 2007 model, Sept. 2006 build date. I can tell ya from firsthand experience it won't work.

To make it work properly, you'd have to swap your blower assembly for a newer unit, which entails removing the dashboard.

Alternately, you can disassemble both climate control units and place the new faceplate on your existing unit. The downside here is that the 'Econ' button is now 'AC on' or something similar, so basically opposite meanings. So when it is lit, the compressor will be off, and vice versa. Also, the LED for the 'Auto' button does not line up correctly with the new faceplate.

The compromise I found was keeping the existing faceplate, but swapping the chrome knobs from the newer facelift unit over. Gives it an updated look and only requires minor modding to fit.

Thanks for this reply,but anybody know the newer blower assembly part nr ? I might wanna try this maybe
Thanks

Ok,i swapt just for curiosity the a/c units anyway and it works normally blower motor i can control normally
Even i can control the flow of the air
Now u guys were saying that the blower motor would not start at all with newer unit?
Thanks for clarification

if you hit the auto button you will see that it fails to blow air into the cabin, also try and hit the front window defroster and see what it does. the system fails to supply the air correctly which imo isnt good enough

The front defrost works ok goes to last bar of the fan
Auto does almost nothing but kinda trying going really slow
Well definitely there is something but wondering is this not possible thru coding?
Thanks

The front defrost works ok goes to last bar of the fan
Auto does almost nothing but kinda trying going really slow
Well definitely there is something but wondering is this not possible thru coding?
Thanks
WONT work as its meant to, full stop, many have tried and found out the hard way, me included :(,
Have you done a search for this? As NHN has said MANY times, unless you have the newer blower and direction flaps etc, the unit WON'T work correctly,
try pressing each of the air direction buttons,one at a time of course, and when flaps in turn try to change air direction this is when it will FAIL :(
Remove your glovebox completely and look for any sign of any orange tabs on the underside of dash,they would suggest you have the newer blower installed, but this will be VERY unlikely, it's a mammoth task not only to change the blower but the cam system& new directional flaps :(
it can be done though !
or simply do as other post/link shows how to change for facelift facia
Sorry OCD-A3 just typed this post and then seen you had already said it (last week) lol

Last edited:
My friends im just trying to understand why mine i can control a lot of functions including front defrost and air flow and others cant
And how is that u cant control this thru coding when u can do a LOT of tweaks to the car
In the end i will want to change the blower to a newer one
Now for this i find some contradictory info (doing the search) some ppl say its a big job some say its easy just get off the glovebox
Can someone that really did it or know exactly what this is all about enlight me?
Thanks

My friends im just trying to understand why mine i can control a lot of functions including front defrost and air flow and others cant
And how is that u cant control this thru coding when u can do a LOT of tweaks to the car

No one said that the AC completely refuses to run with the facelift controls, or at least not that I've seen. Sure, it powers on, and SOME of the buttons will appear to work. Thing is, if you systematically try every button and check the results, you will see that you lose some functions, and others will seem to work at first but aren't actually performing the correct actions. Believe me, I spent A LOT of time trying to make this work. I pored over the Bentley manual and identified every single wire going to the control panel and which actuator it controls. The newer AC system has fewer flaps in it, Audi has engineered it to do so (probably for reduced cost and fewer items to fail.) Hence the newer AC system has fewer wires going to flap motors. The facelift control panel, although it uses the same connectors, physically does not have the pins for those extra wires connected to anything. The traces are dead on the circuit board.

Vag-com certainly can do a lot of tweaks, but that is all, it can only tweak settings for which the programming already exists. Just as you cannot remap your ECU with Vag-com, neither can you flash the firmware of your climate control unit. Not only is the facelift unit lacking electrical connections physically, it also does not know how to address those extra flap motors in the software. This you can confirm in Vag-com, by comparing the channels line by line. The output channels for those additional flap motors, which are present and can be tested on your pre facelift unit, simply do not exist on the new facelift unit.

Hopefully that convinces you. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I wasted many hours on this myself. Working in the electronics field, I was sure there was something I could do that others missed, thought perhaps I could re-pin the harness. No joy. It's not doable.

If you do go through with swapping the blower assembly, please keep us posted! That is the only way to make this work properly. I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of the process, and the total cost for parts (especially since I'd imagine some incidental costs will crop up.)