Not the norm 8p1 steering wheel question

Ian_tdi

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 2004 a3, single stage steering wheel. I know I can't fit a later spec steering wheel as much as I'd like to without massive expense/uncertainty of working so I have been considering getting my existing wheel retrimmed or buying another spare wheel why I retrim that. My question is will any single stage wheel and airbag plug and play fit with no issues? So one from a mk1 tt or late 8l s3 etc?

Thanks

I'm very much in the same position, damn single stage airbags! I'd be interested to hear if there is a solution.

Hopefully someone will be along to clear it up. I'm hoping an a3 8l will fit as they look good retrimmed and are reasonably priced.

Thanks

Thanks but that doesn't actually answer what I'm looking for. I don't want to try and run a dual stage, I want to know if other single stage wheels (mk 1 tt a3/s3 8l etc) will fit directly.

Anyone?

Thanks

Thanks but that doesn't actually answer what I'm looking for. I don't want to try and run a dual stage, I want to know if other single stage wheels (mk 1 tt a3/s3 8l etc) will fit directly.

Anyone?

Thanks

Ian, by the lack of answers you must assume that no-one is able to tell you !

I know a fair bit about steering wheels but have not come across that scenario before hence not replying !

It isn't just the wheel and airbag that's in question, it's the slip ring also. I have no idea what is used in the 8l or the mk1 tt or if it's possible to mix that slip ring with an 8P.

Sorry but you have probably asked a question that no-one is able to answer without trial and error, and the error might be fatal !

Hmmm ok well thanks for the honest answer!

Ta

Ok well I have bought a couple of spare s4 wheels so I presume if the slip ring etc are all a direct fit this should be ok?

Post pics of original wheel and airbag, together with part numbers, and what you want to fit, together with numbers and I'll try to help.

Great thanks, I will take my wheel off and take plenty of pics.

If I take my wheel off and the new wheels are not compatible and have to fit my old wheel will this make the airbag light come on ?

Thanks

Great thanks, I will take my wheel off and take plenty of pics.

If I take my wheel off and the new wheels are not compatible and have to fit my old wheel will this make the airbag light come on ?

Thanks

Yes but if you put all the original back, WITHOUT moving the slip ring, then the light will go out after driving 100 yards or so.

How do you remove the slip ring? One of the wheels I have bought still has it attached....

Thanks

Why would you remove the slip ring to fit the wheel, no need & it should fit on the spline no problem, but its whether the resistance of the differing airbags will make the system think its ok & then there's no guarantee it will go of when needed, but may extinguish the light.

How do you remove the slip ring? One of the wheels I have bought still has it attached....

Thanks

Bit puzzled here ! The slip ring doesn't actually attach to the wheel, it goes over the steering column and fixes into the steering control module and the steering angle sensor.

The only physical connection between slip ring and wheel is with the airbag wiring loom.

Pics are needed and, as NHN says, there is no need to remove the slip ring.

Ok I think I'm confusing matters here! I will take pics of the new steering wheels and hopefully that will clear things up...!