Where might i find the coolant temp sensor ?

Biggs

Reaction score
Im going to have ago at changing this today, to see if it helps to get the temp sitting at 90. I fear it may be a thermostat problem, but for the sake of £8 i think i'll try this option first.

Anyway, it's a 2 litre tfsi quattro. Anybody give me a clue where to look for it ?

Cheers

Sorry forgot to mention its an 06.

Cheers

Haynes manual says its located on the thermostat housing at the left hand end of the cylinder head

Haynes manual says its located on the thermostat housing at the left hand end of the cylinder head

It's not there. You have to take the engine cover off and its between the block and the battery housing on the right. I changed mine last week.

Audi wanted £30 for the sensor, you also need the O-ring which is a quid or two.

This is the guide I used:

DIY: Replace your Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (FSI) - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Awesome thanks for your reply, I already bought the sensor from euro car parts, but didn't realise there was an o ring to replace aswell.

It's useful to have the o-ring as when you pull the old sensor out the coolant will start ******* out. If the new sensor already has the o-ring on you can whip out the old and put the new one in straight away and you won't make too much of a mess.

If the o-ring doesn't come out with the old sensor just stick a finger in and pull it out, then pop the new one in. Make sure your engine has cooled down a bit or you'll regret it.

Careful with the retaining clip, if you're too heavy handed it'll snap. I used a screwdriver to push it backwards and it popped off without breaking.

:( Good luck, I still have a bottle of G13 and a thermostat waiting to fit ...

I have a feeling it might be the stat just had mine done, think its very common. Mine just wouldn't hold 90 unless in traffic and on a run it would drop right down to 70..

Lucky its not the tdi bkd version front dead center, its a fecker to get to & swap out.