Is someone trying to con me?

rickypj

Reaction score
Hi guys a bit of a strange one but I saw a post in the for sale and eBay section for a round air bag for a FBSW. £100. So I text the number asking if i could collect and they replyed with no answer to my question but asking me to email them if I had any other questions. So I emailed them and got this back today

Hi ,
Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off :)
If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance to yours.
Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on (0797)--342--5052 low signal strength area :( but check emails regularly.
Ta,
Lisa.
P.S. Will let you know before heading out, cash only please.

It seems like someone's tryin to get my details off me. I'm not going to reply but what do you guys think. Scam??

Definately doesn't seem to add up! The wording is far too generic like its being used to reply to lots of messages

Or its all above board but they don't want people knowing where they live for fear of future reprisals?
the only thing id say is, if you were buying a non safety critical item then ok but with an item as important as an airbag id probably think twice before buying from ebay

The only details she wants is a post-code and any one has access to them. Can't be too dodgy if she's willing to meet face to face, giving you her number, not asked for yours and you can examine it before handing over any cash. You can't test it until it goes off, anyway! :confused:

Get her on the blower, see what she sounds like, and simply meet outside the local police station.

I feel like it might be a Nigerian on the other end of the phone asking for me to pay through western union and sending the Monet to his brother in Uganda. Or a premium rate phone number.

£100 for an fbmfsw airbag, dont risk it imho, as Mark says, its just to generic of a reply imho.

Slightly odd. Give her the postcode and she knows where a nice Audi lives. Cynical or sensibly cautious?

post the link

Get her on the blower, see what she sounds like, and simply meet outside the local police station.

Or you could give me your bank account details and sort code. My cousin bernsing he is standing by waiting for your payment..

Or you could give me your bank account details and sort code. My cousin bernsing he is standing by waiting for your payment..

george-phone-jacker-300x225.gif

This reminds me of a story many years ago, a guy was looking to buy a Cosworth ,at the time a newish one would cost £20,000 plus , so he looked in auto trader and saw one for £2500, the car in question was the exact car he wanted same spec, same colour , anyway he rang the owner and she sounded ok , he asked about the car ,she confirmed everything , then he said ,I presume the price is wrong and they have missed a 0 off the end , so it should be £25000, she insisted the original asking price was correct , she went on to insist that if the guy turned up to see it ,if he didn’t like it ,she would pay his train fare .
Now the guy was intrigued, he took the details he did all the checks, they all came back perfect.
So off he went, with a friend, for safety, met the woman at her house, checked the car, it was indeed immaculate, checked the VIN, everything was perfect.It had never been damaged ,full service history ,original receipt, cash sale ,no HP, full police check.
Curiosity got the better of him, what’s wrong with it; he asked her, why sell a £25000 car for £2500…..
It turned out her husband had been having an affair and she had caught him , and thrown him out , anyway the Cosworth was his pride and joy and in a bid to pacify her he said , sell the car ,keep half and send me half ………
She said imagine his face when I send him £1250 ……… he will be livid.
Needless to say the guy paid the £2500 ,had the signed transfer of ownership form ,and a full receipt signed for by the lady in question ………. And off he drove with a bargain .

The moral of this story , check things out (safely) and ………………..

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned

Reactions: N8
“Snakes with Tits” as a colleague once informed me when his female manager reprimanded him .
To which I laughed so much I cried , his face was a picture !!!

I have my wife’s permission to say I wear the trousers in her house!!!!!