private number plate or not?

• Yep

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

rOb_A

Reaction score
What are ppl's views on having a private plate?
I have the chance to a great private plate for me, that i could put on any car i have but.. i think they can look a bit cr@p/tacky (sorry if i offend anyone)

I had one,keeps the car ageless to an extent.
Mine will go back on when a new car graces my garage.

Waste of money. Not for me

I like them, but the mrs had one and the £100 every time it's transferred is a pain. Not to mention if you keep it on retention you get charged £100 per year!

I got one, got it when I got a huge discount on a new car that I had to get a month before a new reg came out, so i spent some on a plate, that I found for a few 100, I laugh about it it actually has it uses sometimes, I have had it for yrs now first part is my initals the last part BBC. I do not abuse the law of how it is on the plate either. a good investment too :)

Though you are right in some cases they are really sad and tacky, and annoying they just abuse the law to try and look cool.

Last edited:
All my mates have private regs, but I don't have a middle name, so would have to get MJ #### or spend about £7k on something like 86 MJ (birth year and initials).

Yeah i love private plates:) get one.

as long as its not tacky and with many mispaced letters and extra studs/bolts its all good

I've got one and I think it finishes off the car nicely

I got mine from my late Grand parents for my 21st as it was more appropriate than a watch as both G'dads were petrol heads.

Some look rubbish when tampered with but the rest, to me look good.

Only mod that doesnt depreciate.
Cant be naff with wacky spacing, screw caps etc.
That can look a bit desperate.

By defination Its personal so choose wise and enjoy.

Yep, pretty much everyone I know has one. Mind you in my area they seem to be quite a common B'day present.

Keep the font normal & none of the added studs / etc & i think they look fine.

Yep we have one on ours and love it but as mentioned keep it classy and legal.

Sorry to hijack but what do peeps do about the VAG service history which references the old age related plate which we didnt retain ?

We do have the official retention cert for the new private plate though and the old tax disc with the age related number on it.

Last edited:
+1 for the private plate. Makes the car stand out from the rest, especially the short plates.

However, the tacky plates are the ones that are trying too hard with bolts, spacing and different fonts.

keep it short and classy.

Reactions: 210_MIH
Had mine for over 10 years now and love it!

Defo worth having.

Had one on my fabia vrs and sold it on with the car.
Nice cherry on the cake for the new owner.
It was specific to the car rather than to me so it made sense to
leave it on there. My wife has a 5 digit one which I bought her
for her birthday on her Fiat 500. Really suits the car, and is absolutely perfect for her rather
unusual name. She'll move it on to all her cars after she's finished with this one.
On the lookout for one for my S3.

the one that has come up is RO13 with the last 3 letters appropriate to my surname, so would be RO13 A**

what you think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353113866600751
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353113885305774

Love mine. Transferred the look of the car IMO

I wanted S3 ADP or S30 ADP but both are taken by non audi cars (annoyingly)

Will have to settle for S300 ADP which means something to me and the car (so potentially saleable) but also makes the car dateless.

Private plates can be tacky however so choose wisely!

The one on my Fabia was VR51 FLY
I never altered the spacing though.
Billy bargain for £250

My wife and I have matching personal plates. I think it's obvious what my number is from my login ID. I purchased mine back in 1991 when the DVLA first allowed you to purchase a plate before the new letter (H) was released. I paid just £230 for the plate which included the £80 to transfer it on to my new Audi 90 2.3E. I purchased my wife's plate about 12 months later.

So the FLY has flown Gary.

Only paid £200 for the wifes Reg. S10 MPH Her dress size followed by her initials. It's £115 to transfer your Reg. onto retention now and so far has been on 5 cars, it's an ongoing cost if you keep changing cars but I don't mind.
Always worth getting a personal related plate over the car related.

Rob, check on the DVLA's own site they usually work out cheaper if available.

Reactions: grr666
yep already checked if lad. still mulling it over, plus its not for sale for a couple of weeks

If you want it lad go for it. DVLA found me a plate for the new business which is a reasonable price. The one I wanted (B10TEK) was way too much so I asked if they had anything similar and came up with this - BR05 TEK. Still thinking about it though.

Reactions: shariain
If you want it lad go for it. DVLA found me a plate for the new business which is a reasonable price. The one I wanted (B10TEK) was way too much so I asked if they had anything similar and came up with this - BR05 TEK. Still thinking about it though.

i much prefer the BR05 TEK plate - B10 TEK makes it sound like you're running a drugs company!!

yep im still undecided Mark :ermm:

off subject but out with mates last night, one of them has bought a 1M, cant wait to have a go!

As a side note on the matter,always use DVLA to buy one as when I looked for mine was a couple of hundred dearer but DVLA had it,seems that if I bought it they would get it off DVLA and pass it to me for extra.

Reactions: shariain
I've had my 3 digit plate since 1989 - would never sell it though, doesn't resemble anything about me but its a nice combo of numbers and letters.

It would suit a Ferrari 430 to a tee though except its stuck on an a3!

Love my private plate, especially as I have now face lifted the car you can't tell how old the car is not to mention it's the best part of personalising your car

A nice set of pressed private plates makes a huge difference, definitely do it!

Mine is s3 on my plate love it. Wife thinks I'm sad but what does she know....she drives a zafira diesel. :yum: