Fuel issues when parked nose up

just017

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a similar issue to this? When I park the car nose up and don't start the engine for a few days, i get a lumpy start, nose down it seems fine. Its like i have a vacuum leak somewhere and its allowing the fuel to run back to the tank. No leaks on the road anywhere so it can only be going back to the tank.

Is there a common place that this occurs?

I had this problem (in fact mine wouldn't start if parked nose up overnight) and its just been fixed (see the other thread).

The fault was the lift pump. It was letting fuel drain back to the tank so the engine was starved of fuel. Crank enough and it would splutter into life.

The garage had a devil of a job finding the fault. Nothing was recorded in the ECU, they had to diagnose it the old fashioned way. It was trial and error that I found parking it nose up made the problem far worse so they were able to leave it on a ramp at the garage.

Once the pump had been replaced they left it nose up overnight and it started straight away. It also now starts more quickly and smoothly. I'm yet to leave it parked up for a few days as a final test but so far so good!

The garage think that the pump may have some kind of no return valve in it that might have failed. It terms of pumping fuel it tested fine, but it was just letting fuel slowly drain away when parked up.

Any slight air leak on the suction side of the fuel system can cause this. Often a sod to find as they rarely leak fuel!
Peugeots used to be prone to it.

Mine will also have a noticeable difference overnight compared to parked nose down. Also if this is my issue, as the pump works fine, am I right in thinking that putting a non return valve along the line that goes form filter back to the tank should cure this?

If so, what mm fuel lines does the A3 have?