Starting problems when engine is warm

Pepsi

Reaction score
Alright ppl.

I'v got this issue on my 1.9 tdi 8p1. It's been a problem ever since i'v owned the car (18 months).

The car starts absolutely fine when cold, literally a millisecond after turning over the key. The problem i get is when the engine has been running a long or short while and warmed up, When re-starting, it does start eventually but the turning over seems like a lifetime. I can recall on very few occasions through our rare summer days, If i didn't start the car till afternoon on a hot day i would sometimes get a similar issue with delayed starting.

Anybody had a similar issue or any idea on the culprit?

Cheers....
icon7.png

this has been a common problem on the 2.0tdi, probably exactly the same on the 1.9.

Starter Motor is ******.

this has been a common problem on the 2.0tdi, probably exactly the same on the 1.9.

Starter Motor is ******.

Correct ! Common problem.

When hot the ecu tells the fuel management system to provide less fuel ( than when cold) and the starter motor has to work much harder to start the engine.

Correct ! Common problem.

When hot the ecu tells the fuel management system to provide less fuel ( than when cold) and the starter motor has to work much harder to start the engine.

Ok thats great guys, I shall pur chase a new one. Whats the likelyhood of the engine temperature sensor sending inaccurate readings to the ecu when the engine is hot? This was something suggested from a friend?

not impossible, may I suggest you replace the cheapest first.

Ok thats great guys, I shall pur chase a new one. Whats the likelyhood of the engine temperature sensor sending inaccurate readings to the ecu when the engine is hot? This was something suggested from a friend?

If you think about it, the temperature sensor is obviously sending the correct info. when cold as you have no starting problem then.

If the sensor was faulty wouldn't it still be sending cold info ? It's because it's sending 'hot' info. that the ecu reduces/weakens the fuel input and therefore I doubt it's a problem with the sensor.

Had exactly the same thing with my Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDi (BKD engine) changed the starter with a Bosch unit from Euro Car Parts and it cured the problem.