URGENT! Leaking fuel from tank area this morning...

G

_G_

Fill up at Tesco's and 3/4 tank full the fuel starts leaking from beneathe the car... got my knees (click - click... hey I'm not old I'm just crispy!) and looks like it was coming from the top of the tank somewhere...

My guess... evap line or breather line?
Is this a basket to replace? Would it be expensive for a mechanic to sort? Not a major job is it? I don't have any time to sort it this week so if it is life threatening I just want to know if I should be driving it like miss daisy or not. Thanks

I replaced the in-tank fuel pump about 3 weeks ago, tested it all, no leaks no problems... arrrrrggggghhhhh!!!

I worked in a petrol station for 3 years, people's cars were forever leaking fuel everywhere.

Its probably just the breather pipe spurting some out. The air is replaced with fuel so there might be some vapours/liquid lost via that pipe.

So unless it was a bucket full, I'd plough on.

cheers fella... never had this before though so very strange! I would say it was a good two litres... is this normal? As said... never had it before so was stumped thinking what the fluffito.. gona have it checked out anyway as the car has been smelling of petrol too.

think I'd class 2 litres as too much to be falling out.

Check the jubilee or the like on the pipe that connects to the tank. Rubber may have perished.

It still could be the syphon effect briefly doing its thing.

Liquid on the floor is deceiving, a little looks a lot.

The pump went in under the seats? If the seal on the main locking ring was leaking, it would have to be when brimmed, 3/4 shouldn't be near that seal.

As said, there's a breather pipe that feeds back into the filler to stop airlocks.

I had something like this happen on my Golf mk3 years ago. It started leaking fuel when the tank was nearly full.

It turned out the breather valve had failed. Part was just a few quid but they had to drain the tank to fit it.

yeh i think it is the breather valve or hose.. ive just drained the tank... i refilled it and the same happened again... at full click with fuel any excess just spills out... im going to drive it as normal for the working week and sort it on the weekend... its a shame i was looking forward to slapping down the armoured cable to send power to the shed, with a spur off the circuit board... had the missus on my case about how we need power there to use the tumble dryer.. alas... the second wife takes priority again :think: