Clutch issue - Help needed!

BradHatton

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having issues with what I think may be the clutch in my A3, I am having slowly increasing difficulty getting into first and reverse gear and the clutch has started to bite when it is hardly off the floor.

Anyone know what the issue is, Can anybody help me?

Thanks, Brad.

I'm pretty sure that when the clutch is going the bite is right at the end on the pedal someone will correct me if I'm wrong, so it sounds to me you have a issue with the master cylinder, my advice would be to get that checked out first! Hope this helps mate

I'm pretty sure that when the clutch is going the bite is right at the end on the pedal someone will correct me if I'm wrong, so it sounds to me you have a issue with the master cylinder, my advice would be to get that checked out first! Hope this helps mate

Thanks bud.

Im a real noob when it comes to these sort of things I'm afraid.
Is the master cylinder a big deal? What sort of price to replace? Thanks!

No problem mate, no it's not a big deal just a straight swap but you might have to also replace the fluid not sure if it come's with fluid in. just give Tps a ring and find the price or check on eBay

Any updates on this? My car will move in gear without my foot on the gas. I have done the 5th gear pull off from stationary to test the clutch and it does stall. Is this a standard thing?

The clutch is self adjusting so if this is happening it will probably be a problem with the hydraulic system (master cylinder in engine bay, slave cylinder inside bell housing with clutch, or pipe work connecting them. You need someone with some knowledge to work out which. You can make a start by looking for hydraulic fluid leaks. Any replacement will require a re-bleed.

it is also not unheard of for the clutch pedal pivot to break away from the pedal box (partial or completely) this might cause your symptoms.

Reactions: bugsy
How serious a problem is this? Is anything getting damaged if I don't get it looked at soon? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi lads, update for you.

I was low on brake fluid, that is why my clutch was playing up and I had trouble engaging gears.

If any of you are dumbos like me and having issues with your clutch, check your Blake fluid level! :)

Haha and how does a dumbo like me check the brake fluid??

So it was the brake fluid then. Hope ur keeping an eye on it now, cos if it got that low then it could well be leaking from somewhere

Hi,

I am having issues with what I think may be the clutch in my A3, I am having slowly increasing difficulty getting into first and reverse gear and the clutch has started to bite when it is hardly off the floor.

Anyone know what the issue is, Can anybody help me?

Thanks, Brad.
i hav this problem jus had a brand new clutch fitted an the butting point is at the floor not allowing me to select gears or even drive unless I start in gear but if I hold e clutch I can feel it tryna drag ,