A3 3.2/Golf R32

nicks3

Reaction score
Seems pretty definite now that the Golf R32 will be the 3.2 FSi engine and be available in the Uk in November this year. Anyone have thoughts on what this will do to the sales for the A3 3.2??

depends on the BHP and Torque of the Golf Really.

Just hope the new S3 will have the 3.2 with a little turbo as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would think the A3 3.2 and R32 cater to different crowds. Then again, I've been wrong so many times before...

What do you mean by different crowds?

The R32 would be the sportier option of the two I would think, the A3 3.2 being the refined cruiser/tourer. I'd be guessing that there will be a lot more modded new R32s than A3 3.2s if past trends are anything to go by.

I have no idea what this will do to sales of the A3 3.2, but they can only go down with a pretty much technically direct competitor. How many sales the MKV R32 steals from Audi is anyone's guess. If it looks like the photos that I've seen so far, I hope it isn't many, because it looks pretty hideous imho.

Just my tuppence worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just a little disappointed by the outcome of the new R32. Doesn't seem to quote being an FSI engine, and performance seems the same as curent A3.

VW will probably kill the residuals with an arrival of an R34 and R36 in consequetive years.

Link for new R32.

2050809.005.Mini2L.jpg

new R32 is an FSI unit.

Really dissapointed with it TBH, no where near as good looking as the MKIV version. I'd think I'd rather have a GTI!

I like the silver one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think it's a good thing, I wouldn't worry, we all know that the R32 will be the enthusiasts choice... but it only provokes interest in the engine by the vast majority of 'normal' motorists. Lots of people will like the performance of the R32 but will not be convinced by the R's aggressive styling or plastic fantastic interior!
So a 1yr old A3 3.2 would look quite attractive!

Nick, by "catering to different crowds" I meant that Audi and VW are going after a different market segment with these two cars: "Sporty" for the R32, "Subtle" for the A3.

Know what you mean there, I have decided to stick with my order for the A3 3.2 S line dsg as it will give me the performance of the R32 but with more subtle styling and better quality interior etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Good choice *ahem* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here Here

I can't begin to tell you how many people my debaged A3 has surprised...

On the freeway between Montpellier and Carcassonne, a Hungarian CLK 500 driver was so mad at not being able to pass me (a humble little A3) that he ended up crashing... (No injuries, except for his ego)

And I park up at work every day, my co-workers commenting positively on my "sensible purchase" ;-)

Looks just as weak as the rest of the MkV range. Faceless styling direction looks just like a whole pile of other cars out there.

Its lost its aggressive front and I agree with the rear exhausts. They are just awkwardly spaced as they are. Looked much better on the original.

As it stands could just be a standard 2.0T FSi as a fancy named special edition.

The silver looks a lot better than the blue one. The blue one reminds me of that softroad polo.

As crazy as it sounds, this version isn't meant to be the successor to the original R32, mearly a stop gap... wait for the R36 that will come after the S3 in 2007, that'll be the overpriced WOW machine that the original R32 was.

VAG must be careful with their VW/Audi line up in this sector. We might end up with the Golf GTI and R32, alongside the A3 2.0T, 3.2, S3 and RS3 (assuming the latter hits production). That's six performance models all scrambling for sales inside a premium price range. Factor in the 170bhp 2.0TDI and things get more confusing.