Wanting to buy an A3 2.0 T FSI DSG...

Veedubnoodle

Reaction score
Hey everyone :) First post here so please be gentle :p

Looking for a decent A3 to buy at the moment and just wondering is there anything I need to look out for with these engines and gearboxes?

Obviously I'll be looking for the usual regular service intervals, timing belt done and oil changes on the DSG boxes every 40k (correct me if I'm wrong) but is there any need to worry about the slightly higher mileage ones knocking about for sale at the moment?

Haven't had much experience with these 2.0 TFSI engines but I haven't heard any horror stories through my line of work (I sell car parts to local garages).

Hoping to get a clean A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI DSG around '06. Budget of about £7k so if you know of any nice ones for sale point me in the right direction please :)

I'm based in Belfast, Northern Ireland but travelling to get the right car doesn't bother me.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to becoming an active member of the forum :D

Aaron (Noodle)

The fuel pump camshaft follower should be high on the list to be changed/inspected when you buy one.

Reactions: OVRA3 and RedDejavu
Ahhh yes I've heard about those. Was thinking of getting an ungraded one like the KMD follower :)

VW/Audi changed the hardness coating on these, so no need to buy KMD.
When removed check the cam lobe for wear/scoring.

Timing belt 60k miles and or 5 years.
S-Tronic / DSG Oil+filter at 40k miles.
Brake fluid 2 yrs.
Fuel + Pollen filter milage dependant
No misfires.
All warning lights are off.
Seized hand brake cable arm on rear brake calliper.
Warmed up and idling, remove oil filler cap. Engine should struggle to run. This implies the PVC is working well.
Water temp static at 90c when warm.
2 x matching keys which unlock/lock and start the car.

If poss carryout a before and after VCDS scan.

If you opt for the Quattro make sure the Haldex filter and oil has been changed oil at 20k filter at 40k I believe. Great car go for the Quattro if you can. When you opt for the remap which I'm sure you will that 4wd makes all the difference!

Make sure it had the rev d Diverter valve put on the older ones are prone to splitting listen for any turbo whistle tell tale sign the Dv has had it

Thanks MrLapou and JamesO! Great advice there :) Going to try to get a Quattro but for the money I'm spending I'll probably have to settle for FWD.

If you opt for the Quattro make sure the Haldex filter and oil has been changed oil at 20k filter at 40k I believe. Great car go for the Quattro if you can. When you opt for the remap which I'm sure you will that 4wd makes all the difference!

Make sure it had the rev d Diverter valve put on the older ones are prone to splitting listen for any turbo whistle tell tale sign the Dv has had it

Wrt to DV, I changed mine for rev d and still have air escaping somewhere. Listen for pressure leak noises in the driver footwell when flooring it.

Also, get the OIL PICKUP PIPE checked before you drive off in it. I bought mine and a few miles later, was on the back of a truck. I got away with it, but it is a cheap thing to do and an engine saver. The pipe mesh can get blocked and starve the engine of oil.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the oil pick up pipe not in the sump? That would mean removing the sump before buying it :/

Ahh well if it hasn't been done I'll get it checked and changed if neccessary. Thanks :)