Bootlight doesn't work

Strangely Brown

Reaction score
After owning the car for two days i have only just noticed the boot light doesn't work.:(

Changed the bulb - no joy
Checked all the fuses - all ok

One thing i have noticed and it may be unrelated is the central locking will kick in after 30-60 seconds when the boot is open. I had a similar issue with an old Mk4 Golf and if i remember correctly it was water ingress from the rear washer jet which had corroded the micro switch in the lock.

Any thoughts. Could it be time for a new boot loch mechanism?

Does the vehicle register that the bootlid is open in the DIS?

Check for a feed to the bulb would be my next step

I'm working from home tomorrow so will chase the loom back as far as i can. Damn :(

Don't need to, Take the bulb out and put a voltmeter between the terminals, one will read 12v the other 0volts. If you have 12volts at the holder, it's either poor connection between bulb & holder/poor earth/dodgy new bulb(not unheard of)

The interior lights are on a timer, so if the DIS thinks the boot has been open past the allotted time wouldn't it switch the light off anyway??

Make sure the bulb is in the correct way and touching both contacts on top and below the bulb itself.

Microswitch in boot lock !

Disconnect bootlock and see what happens. If nothing happens then connect the two contacts together. Check on the DIS each time to see if warning has gone out.

Lock mechanism should work immediately, not after so many seconds !

Microswitch in boot lock !

Disconnect bootlock and see what happens. If nothing happens then connect the two contacts together. Check on the DIS each time to see if warning has gone out.

Lock mechanism should work immediately, not after so many seconds !

Hi Mike

the central locking works as it should but if you unlock the car and open the boot after 30 seconds the car locks itself.

I had that problem. Replaced the bulb holder and all back to normal. Costs around £12 delivered from Stoke Audi.

Hi Mike

the central locking works as it should but if you unlock the car and open the boot after 30 seconds the car locks itself.

If you unlock the car and leave it, it locks itself automatically again after about 30 seconds. This is normal.

If you unlock the car and then open the boot and it locks automatically again after 30 seconds then the control module is being told that the boot is locked - if you see what I mean !

The microswitch in the boot lock is not operating correctly for whatever reason. I should try taking it out and blasting it with WD40 or similar or better still, dismantle and clean.

It does sound like a water ingress problem so might be worth having a look at the wiper motor as well.

Thanks Mike. I'm confident it is lock related so weather depending i will be removing it this weekend.

After some effort i removed the boot trim and the rear wiper motor is leaking plus there are signs of corrision on the boot catch mechanism so i think i've found the issue!

New parts ordered today off ebay (Lincoln Audi) for just over £100 for both including postage.