help with minor problem

syk919

Reaction score
i have a 53 audi a3 2.0 tdi and i recently decided to upgrade to double din and put in sat nav etc i got hold of a dd cage, facelift climate and buttons all i needed was the sat nav and after bit of research i realised its bit of a waste because cc doesnt work!! so im ditching the dd cage change as the real reason was because i got hold of a cheap s line multi function steering wheel! whoop and i wanted the buttons to work properly. my question to you is can i just upgrade my single din stereo so the mf buttons work? i know my current stereo wont properly support the steering wheel controls?? any ideas
thanks

mfsw won't work without the correct steering control module and I doubt whether your car will have it ! Also you need a 'highline' DIS. Do you have a steering wheel with the 'shield-shaped' airbag ?

What do you mean by 'cc won't work' ? We normally associate 'cc' with cruise control so why do you assume it wont work ?

mfsw won't work without the correct steering control module and I doubt whether your car will have it ! Also you need a 'highline' DIS. Do you have a steering wheel with the 'shield-shaped' airbag ?

What do you mean by 'cc won't work' ? We normally associate 'cc' with cruise control so why do you assume it wont work ?

yea im confused about the steering wheel module ive read all sorts on the forums like wiring looms etc all i have is the steering wheel with with one wire sticking out on the inside which i presume connects to the airbag which i still need to purchase.my current airbag is like a triangle shape
regarding the cruise control possibly me reading too many forums but apparently two different modules or something which means my older car might not accept both cruise control and mfsw??

im sure i have a highline dis because i have the voice guided navigation in my car

If you have the 'triangle' shaped steering wheel airbag then is single stage, your airbag control module is single stage and so are your other airbags.

The mfsw that you have requires a 'shield shaped' airbag which is dual stage. You cannot fit a dual stage airbag to a single stage system (safely ! ). You also need a DIS with three sections in the display to use a mfsw and a control module and slip ring which your car will not have.

Cruise control should not be affected if you have it.

Presumably you do not have an original Audi navigation system ?

no i have factory fitted voice guided navigation with some directions in the cluster(when in use). the control module is situated where the coin tray would normally be near the handbrake.

also as of now i would need airbag slip ring and control module.any specific information if there are different types of control modules etc?
would it be a better option to pick up a flat bottom with airbag for less then 300??

Sorry mate, either I am totally confused or you are !!

Can I repeat that you CANNOT fit a dual stage airbag to the single stage system that you have. All flat bottom wheels have dual stage airbags.

Sorry !

Just to clear it up... The dis does not matter!
You will however need a D rev slip ring, the F rev steering control module and the right airbag.
Yes mike is right that it's not safe to fit the newer type steering wheels to your car as you car has a single stage air bag and the newer types are dual stage which means that there is no guarantee that your airbag will fire when you need it. Though this has not stopped others from doing this mod before you.
If you are willing to take the risk then the slip ring can be bought for about £30, the airbag will be more expensive if you do not already have 1.
I have an F rev steering module for sale for £100 which accommodates the mfsw and cruise control.

****** hell, I'm glad I have no plans to change my steering wheel!

Yh but when you get these results it's so worth it!

4c7f809b.jpg

Very true, like the starship enterprise that!

ok so thats cleared the air for me thanks. i reckon i will just get my hands on a flat bottom with airbag and flog off the s line steering wheel. i reckon ive got quite a few parts so i may aswell just go for it and do the whole thing. i just need to get my hands on an rnse or something like the rnse but cheaper lol

ok so thats cleared the air for me thanks. i reckon i will just get my hands on a flat bottom with airbag and flog off the s line steering wheel. i reckon ive got quite a few parts so i may aswell just go for it and do the whole thing. i just need to get my hands on an rnse or something like the rnse but cheaper lol

What ??!! Do you mean you are not bothered about the airbag working ?

It's been mentioned twice, both by me and Ash that a fbsw airbag will not work in your car ! :no:

haha you know your saying some pretty bitter sweet things to me right now lol on the one hand you may someday save may life and save me a bucket load of cash but then your telling me to ditch one upgrade i sorely need although not something im willing to trade my life for. ok mike what are my options to get controls on my steering wheel...please dont tell me i have no other options

I was afraid you were going to show that picture. That wheel and airbag style was never available as multi-function.

The nearest I can suggest, and that is with no guarantee it will definitely work, is this shaped wheel :-

Steering Wheel Audi A3 A4 A6 | eBay

with this airbag :-

AUDI A3 S3 (01-03) A4 (01-05) A6 (02-05) 4 SPOKE STEREO STEERING WHEEL AIRBAG | eBay

Other parts would be needed but I have no knowledge or experience of early wheels like this.

I'm sorry, I've tried to help but without wishing to let you down I think you will be struggling to make it look like you really want it to !

yea oh well i can do some other mods so its not all bad.
cruise control would be something that i actually need so il look into that.
thanks for all the help

sell me the cage and climate unit ?

Il sell you the climate nhn may do the double din conversion for me. Private message me an offer for the climate unit mate