2012 170 Sportback Cold Start delay

Si Jar

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Sportback 170 BE and have found the in the colder mornings when i turn the ignition key there is a very noticeable delay before the engine starts, anyone else have the same?
I have had several diesels including a GTD with the same engine but have never experienced this, it always starts but seems a bit odd.
Simon

Have to same problem on 2012 A1 2.0 tdi
It's like the glowplugs aren't working and sort of splutters into life
Audi are aware and doing software updates

My 57 170 is similar. Changed the battery to a new Varta one, has made a difference but still think it is not as "instantaneous" as my 10 year old Golf GTi which has always started impeccably during all the years I've owned it, and it still has the original battery BTW!

I don't think the glowplugs really work until you get to real sub zero conditions, I will stand corrected if wrong...

S

I've not had to let glow plugs heat for years, do you really mean i need to wait for a glow plug to heat / light to go out on a 2012 car?

Yes, this is good practice in any car and is likely to still be good practice in 20 years time too.

Waiting for all but the static ignition dash lights to disappear before turning the engine is good practice simply as it gives the starter motor less to turn over, just like dipping the clutch is wise too (until it became mandatory on many recent VAGs engines).

Isn't that the job of the glow plugs on a diesel car? to warm up and then start the car easier? I have always been told in a diesel to wait 2 seconds with the key in the ignition before trying to turn the engine, and also not to rip the car until the oil has warmed up... then there is the dont rev the car while it is sitting idle.... just good practises