wheel brushes

beaker

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a wheel brush for cleaning my lovely s-line 18's?

There's so many types around and I don't know where to start. Don't want to get one that is either useless or damaging to the wheels. They are pretty easy to clean on the surface (I reckon they have been well waxed), its just getting in behind the spokes that is tricky.

For the inside surface of the wheels behind the spokes I just use a cheapo Halfords brush which is quite effective.

Spay spray on some cleaner and give them a good brush round, then clean the front of the alloy where all that manky break dust has just dribbled over.

A word of warning, don't wear your best white shirt when doing it, it'll spray brake dust muck everywhere.

Dependant upon how anal you are, I used to take the wheels of my A3 every now and then to clean them!

Kev.

Halfords do a couple of brake dust brushes that are yellow with a blue handle. I have got one and it works a treat on getting right into the wheels and is not to hard to scratch the inside of the my wheels.

I'll need to pop in to Halford's and have a look at what they've got.

Just tried out Hot Rims from Meguiars. I have to say it is amazing stuff. I just gave each wheel a good spraying and then used the power washer to hose it off. Almost all of the brake dust was removed and thats all the way into the wheel even where its hard to reach. My alloys now look factory new again. I only had to wipe a couple of the worst spots with a sponge to clear what was left.

I didn't think such a product existed as my previous experience with wheel cleaners was poor. I had some of Halford's own brand cleaner a few years back and It was no better than fairy liquid.

I'll try out some of those brushes to see if they help reaching the trouble spots.

Dont tend to use a brush, use an old Decosol car cleaning sponge (the only one! Any one else use these?) and squeeze it between brake disc/caliper and wheel. Bit of a struggle but my wheels still look new, inside and out. But I do have a few scraped knuckles as theres not much room on a 3.2
STEVE......................

I have CHs which are hard to get right into. I have two brushes. One with bristles like you'd use to apply shaving foam the old way and another which is looped which goes into the wheel to clean inside the rim.

Make sure the brush is very soft otherwise it will mark the face of your alloy.

The end result is worth it but it wrecks my head that is takes a good 20 mins for me to wash just my wheels.

Mark_N,

Honestly, try that Hot Rims stuff. Its ace! Very little manual work is required. My wheels were really black beforehand and it still took it all off with ease.

I was worried about the brushes scratching the alloys which is why I was asking what types people have tried and liked. However, I probably only need them to get in behind the spokes now.

Beaker I have MC2 which is a non-acidic cleaner and mixes 1:10 with water and comes in a 5L bottle (also known as Virosol so do a search). I wouldn't put anything like Hot Rims, Wonder Wheels etc near my wheels as over time they can do more harm than good in my experience...Had a set of VW Santa Monicas ruined by Turtle Wax's wheel cleaner.

These wheel cleaners are very aggressive, they will over time spoil the top surface of the wheels.
Best bet is to dilute 1 to 1 if youre going to use them, donrt leave it on long before washing it off. But a weekly wheel clean should mean you dont have to resort to this stuff! Oh and watch out dont use them on a tarmac drive either.....

Well I have an alternative! I use some mountain bike cleaning stuff called "Muc Off", (a biodegradable degreaser for bikes) spray that on, leave for a few mintutes, then I give each wheel a good clean with an old sock over my hand!!! That way getting into all the tricky spots, while not slicing my hand open on the brake disc covers!

Alternative I know!

Funkycat.

Another good cleaner that wont hurt wheels is the Autoglym Motorcycle cleaner, just spray on leave for a few minutes then clean off.........

[ QUOTE ]
while not slicing my hand open on the brake disc covers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was just me who came back from cleaning the cars bleading.......

Good idea that. I go through socks like wildfire too (toe 'tectors destroy socks)

You'll see me saturday morning sock on hand - smiling to myself - a-s is back - useful tips by the score - clean car - uncut hands - off to Alton Towers Monday - Happy Bunny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hmm, you've all got me worried now. I had thought that something that good must have a downside. Once it runs out I'll try another product and see what it can do for me.

My only previous experience with these cleaners was a halfords own brand years ago when I had a 206. It didn't seem to do anything for me so I assumed that they were all pretty useless.

Mark_N I'll check out that stuff you mentioned next time.