Dual Mass Flywheel - Rough/Failure

Beans

Reaction score
Hi All

My car has a failing Dual Mass Flywheel, and my mechanic has said it needs replacing badly (just had a full service). I have only owned the car for 7 months, and is under warranty - the DMF is covered fortunately.

However, they will only replace it when it fails. When it fails, will it cause damage to other components? What should I expect when it fails? The car does sound rough, even more so now it's colder.

What do you think?

Beans, you should write a registered letter to whoever manages the warranty on your car. In it you should state that the DMF is failing, and that you are not satisfied. Since it will be under warranty, you will also expect to be covered against any damage that a broken DMF may do the the vehicle. In addition, you will expect to be fully covered for any recovery, and/or personal expenses should the DMF fail on the road, plus a courtesy car for the duration of the repair. Be very polite but firm. You should also mention your concerns regarding passenger safety should the DMF fail when driving. Then suggest that it would be far better all-round if the DMF were changed asap. At least it will all be on-record. Good luck.

good luck geting it done
they can last months you warranty will be finshed when it does go

good luck geting it done
they can last months you warranty will be finshed when it does go

This is my fear.

I could write to the warranty company, but any failure has to be notified within 7days. So, if I do say it's going.. they will either say wait until it goes (which will be after the warranty has ended) or say the failure now must occur within 7days of being notified (as per the policy schedule).

Basically, what I'm getting at is what happens when it finally goes - does it shatter, or just a spring will snap? If I pay for the item to come out of the car, I'll only do it when it's fully broke so they can see.

Beans, by documenting the pending failure you will have, I believe, automatically extended the warranty. The written evidence will be valuable should anyone argue above covering you properly. It should not be too hard to notify them within 7 days, but again better to do that with a signed letter. A DMF can fail by becoming rougher and noisy (vibration) as it wears out because of the additional stresses, or it can fail all at once. In my opinion, if it is noticable now it should be changed without delay. An Audi A3 does not vibrate as new, so what you are experiencing is WRONG. You might also get your mechanic to write you a note explaining his conclusions that the DMF is on its way out. Good luck.

Really depends on how many miles you have on your car. If you have a higher mileage car the 'Warranty' company will class it as wear and tear and not payout, even if it is in the coverage. Has to be faulty or damaged and that is normally hard to prove. I know this due to my DMF going a few weeks back and they refused to contribute even the 150 'warranty' value.

i drove mine when the flywheel was going, rattled to bits and got bits of **** in the starter motor so that packed in aswell, which could cost you another 200 nicker dependant on how ya go about fixing it.

I replaced my flywheel with a light weight solid one, you can hear it clatter on tick over sometimes but the throttle response seems sharper, i didnt go for another dual because theyre crap and prone to breaking

Had 110,000 on the clock when my DMF started to rattle etc, had a major battle with the warranty company, waited weeks for an 'inspector' to take 3 photographs of the car and DMF, as said above they put it down to wear and tear and I didn't receive a penny from them! Funny thing was when they rang back asking if I wanted to buy another 6 month warranty!

Well, the knocking was so bad last night I got it recovered (I don't want the anything else to break) - and I'm now doing the warranty claim. First off they said wear and tear! Watch this space.

I need a new clutch, which I will have to pay for (fair enough). Although if I do end up paying for a DMF, I could get a sold one? What do you think?

Edit: Sorry, I mean Solid Flywheel.

Last edited:
Well, the knocking was so bad last night I got it recovered (I don't want the anything else to break) - and I'm now doing the warranty claim. First off they said wear and tear! Watch this space.

I need a new clutch, which I will have to pay for (fair enough). Although if I do end up paying for a DMF, I could get a sold one? What do you think?

What do mean 'Get a sold one'?

good luck
keep us posted
who is the warranty with ?

if you do have to pay go for the single mass

Well, I posted the part to the warranty company for them to assess the damage. They said I could get the work done if I'm prepared to send the part to them (the wait for an inspector was too long). They've now looked at the part and said there is no breakage only wear and tear.

I've had the part sent back to me, and spoken to my mechanic (I paid the bill for the repair) and he thinks the springs inside have gone. However, as it's a sealed unit no one knows unless you get an angle grinder to it.

The DMF is a Sach's one, is there a possibility I could send it to them to look at it? However, they will never say it broke - why would they admit to their parts being faulty?

I'm not sure what to do, the bill was £500 - which is low for the work done as I used my local mechanic. I also paid separately for a new clutch as that was worn too.

Edit: I've had a new Sach's DMF installed - I want it to be smooth.

I know a local garage that does warranty work for many used car dealers around south wales area. shockingly though nearly every type of car that comes in with dmf failures or noisey ones the repair work is as stated by "the warranty insurance company" Weld the DMF !
yes that is correct, they get welded up so i suppose are like a solid flywheel, the mechanic i know says he dosen't like doing it ,but that's what a few warranty insurers ask for, and it's regular work for him.

It does some hugely wasteful and costly to be almost in a situation where the FLYWHEEL is considered a service item with the clutch on so many newer cars. The flywheel should last the engine's life really so I can see where they're coming from, but the whole point of DMF is to dampen engine noise and vibration and the VAG TD engines need all the insulation they need so I would always want to retain the DMF.