Potential windscreen issue

dstev

Reaction score
We've had our 2009 A3 Sport for a couple of months now and I've noticed that there are a lot of marks on the windscreen, which actually make visibility very poor in direct sunlight. On closer inspection some are tiny stone chips and others are what I thought were bug or tar spots. I tried removing these with what I know is a decent remover to no avail. Today I stumbled upon Honest John's appraisal of the A3 and it said there was a known issue with some late 2008 cars that had "bubbles" trapped in the laminate of the windscreen. I'm thinking this is what could be the problem with ours. Only problem is the car is 3 and a half years old and has done 101k miles. How likely is it that Audi will even look at the car without me paying?

Also has anyone else had this issue?

any pics? surely audi would have good enough quality control to prevent cars being fitted with bubbled lami!

was there 'bubbles' in the glass when you bought the car, or have they only appeared? if the laminate is bubbled it could have only happened in the manufacturing process, im gonna be a bore and tell you that the when the glass is made, they use a 2 sheets of glass with a plastic interlayer which is then baked in an oven, and then put in a big vacuum which removes all the bubbles, sometimes bubbles remain but that shouldnt have gone to the car, but the bubbles cant appear after the laminate is created.

the only other advice i could give is try contact customer services and go from there

Can I ask why did you pay £170 for it when you could of paid the windscreen excess for it being replaced due to a large stonechip in the middle of the screen. :whistle2:

Try using nail polish remover for the tar spots, but be careful not to spill any on paintwork, and once clean rinse the area thoroughly.
Under EU law you have 6 years cover for and item to be fit for purpose and free from a manufacturing fault. Speak to a CAB.