Another S3 suspension question

mohsin1315

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought into S3 ownership with a 2007 car. I really like the car but noticed a slight rattle type noise coming from the front driver's wheel when I bought the car. It happens at sub 30mph over rough roads. No noises over speed bumps or at any significant speed on less than smooth roads. The car always feels planted and seems to handle well.

I did take the car back to the dealer (independent) who gave it a thorough going over and replaced the front anti roll bar as they thought the bushes had a bit too much play which might be contributing to the noise. This improved things a little and the ride feels a little more composed but the noise is still there albeit not quite as loud. The car also went to AmD in Woking for the same thing who determined that it is likely to be the front shock absorber on the driver's side. There are no obvious signs of leaking or wear but there is suspected accident damage which may have damaged the strut. In order for them to be sure they will need the car back to strip down and take a proper look, so it is booked in for next Monday.

As it is likely that the car will need new shocks I have been doing some homework on which route to go down. I don't particularly want to lower the car but am not against the idea either. My objectives are:
1. Get rid of the noise
2. Improve ride quality at lower speeds on bumpy B roads
3. Retain the smoothness on Motorways/A roads

So far I have looked at shocks only in the form of Koni FSDs and Bilstein B6s. Both get great reviews but are often paired with Eibach springs. If I went with Eibach springs, it might just be too much for my budget (looking at £700ish fitted) so will stick to just shocks and standard springs.

The other option is to go down the route of the H&R Cup Kit. This appeals to me as I get new springs and shocks in my budget that are matched and I guess the car will look a little better sat lower. I have however read a recent negative review of the kit saying it is too bouncy which has got me questioning which route to go down.

Which option is best given what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks
Mo

So I've got the H&R kit on my '57 plate S3.

No issues with decreased comfort motorways etc. (i use the car for lots of long commutes) - the car is obviously lower and stiffer so it hates speed bumps that little bit more, but it feels so much better to chuck around B roads.

I fitted mine at the same time as the Whiteline AntiLift Kit (WALK) which stops the nose of the car lifting under acceleration, makes the steering a tad heavier on turn in, but makes me feel much more connected to the front wheels when I turn the steering wheel. Spent less than £700 on the Cup Kit (500 ish) + WALK (140 ish, 2nd hand, unused).

Pic of reduced ride height:

photo1.jpg

I looked but i couldnt find the B12 kit for the S3. loads out there in 30mm and 50mm drops... maybe contact GNJ or DPM for a price if they have it?

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated. essIII, thanks for posting the pic. I spotted your car when seaching for reviews on the cup kit last week. It looks great.

I will do a bit more research into the B12 kit and post up here if I have any more questions.

Thanks again
Mo

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated. essIII, thanks for posting the pic. I spotted your car when seaching for reviews on the cup kit last week. It looks great.

I will do a bit more research into the B12 kit and post up here if I have any more questions.

Thanks again
Mo

Cheers - you'll probably spot it in Woking some day soon; i'm just down the road in Weybridge! I also use AmD Woking for my servicing needs.

Cheers - you'll probably spot it in Woking some day soon; i'm just down the road in Weybridge! I also use AmD Woking for my servicing needs.

I think we bumped into each other at Tesco petrol station in Weybridge a couple of months back. I had the black Scirocco on Rotiforms. Seeing your car pushed me to getting an S3. Small world eh?

I think we bumped into each other at Tesco petrol station in Weybridge a couple of months back. I had the black Scirocco on Rotiforms. Seeing your car pushed me to getting an S3. Small world eh?

Haha, oh yeah, I was telling my brother about your Rotiforms the other day! How bizarre! Glad to hear you've come over to the dark side!

Ok, so a bit of an update for those that are interested.

The car was in with AmD on Monday this week for them to take apart the front suspension and track down the rattle. It is definitely the front shock absorber itself. When removed, you can hear a rattle from somewhere inside the strut (??) so it has been damaged previously. Simon assures me it is not dangerous but does not need attention - the noise itself is driving me potty.

So I have decided to go down the Koni FSD route. I like the standard ride height and am assured that these dampers will "transform" the ride giving me comfort on crap surrey roads and stiffen up on the odd occasion where I forget I am not Lewis Hamilton. Currently waiting on a final quote and lead time for delivery but its likely that all in, this will exceed my budget by a few hundred quid. Just hope its worth it...

Another update - AmD where struggling to get hold of Koni FSDs in a reasonable time frame and as I'm impatient I decided to try and source some myself. Didn't go so well and so I tried to get hold of the Bilstein B12 kit as an alternative. Found out that this is no longer made for the S3 - superseded by the B14 kit which is way more ££. So I have settled for the H&R cup kit. Ordered from Awesome this morning and should be with me towards the end of next week. Next stop - book into AmD. Then for those that are still reading my drivel, I will put up a short review.

On a side note - the choice for spring and shock kits for the S3 is very limited yet when I look for kits for the 2.0TFSi Quattro there are quite a lot more. Thought they'd essentially be the same but guess not.

Reactions: Brodster
Hi,

I have recently bought into S3 ownership with a 2007 car. I really like the car but noticed a slight rattle type noise coming from the front driver's wheel when I bought the car. It happens at sub 30mph over rough roads. No noises over speed bumps or at any significant speed on less than smooth roads. The car always feels planted and seems to handle well.

I did take the car back to the dealer (independent) who gave it a thorough going over and replaced the front anti roll bar as they thought the bushes had a bit too much play which might be contributing to the noise. This improved things a little and the ride feels a little more composed but the noise is still there albeit not quite as loud. The car also went to AmD in Woking for the same thing who determined that it is likely to be the front shock absorber on the driver's side. There are no obvious signs of leaking or wear but there is suspected accident damage which may have damaged the strut. In order for them to be sure they will need the car back to strip down and take a proper look, so it is booked in for next Monday.

As it is likely that the car will need new shocks I have been doing some homework on which route to go down. I don't particularly want to lower the car but am not against the idea either. My objectives are:
1. Get rid of the noise
2. Improve ride quality at lower speeds on bumpy B roads
3. Retain the smoothness on Motorways/A roads

So far I have looked at shocks only in the form of Koni FSDs and Bilstein B6s. Both get great reviews but are often paired with Eibach springs. If I went with Eibach springs, it might just be too much for my budget (looking at £700ish fitted) so will stick to just shocks and standard springs.

The other option is to go down the route of the H&R Cup Kit. This appeals to me as I get new springs and shocks in my budget that are matched and I guess the car will look a little better sat lower. I have however read a recent negative review of the kit saying it is too bouncy which has got me questioning which route to go down.

Which option is best given what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks
Mo

I have KW V3 on my s3 sport back. I found it perfect for the road in hong kong. not too hard that the passenger start complaining .

however, What I found annoying is that all the suspension on the 8p, the rear ride height is lower than the front. anyone has the same situation?

I have KW V3 on my s3 sport back. I found it perfect for the road in hong kong. not too hard that the passenger start complaining .however, What I found annoying is that all the suspension on the 8p, the rear ride height is lower than the front. anyone has the same situation?
Another kW v3 user here....I think the main thing about the v3 is just how much fiddling about you have to do to get it just right for a particular driver,as there are so many settings to alter that finding the right ones take time.
I guess though that you could say the same for any decent setup.

I have KW V3 on my s3 sport back. I found it perfect for the road in hong kong. not too hard that the passenger start complaining .

however, What I found annoying is that all the suspension on the 8p, the rear ride height is lower than the front. anyone has the same situation?

You'll find that reverse rake on the S3 is a pretty common "problem" if you view it like that. You've simply just got to go lower on the fronts than on back to solve this