Speedo dials are not working........

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
The speedo on my wife's 2007 a3 has stopped working. The lights all come on but the needles don't move at all.

I have searched on here and worked out how to get it out but can't really find anything that is serviceable!!

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I should be looking for?

Thanks!!

Nope. Don't have it. Took it to pieces, got cross at it, cursed and swore at it and gave up.

Put it back in to keep it safe and now it works perfectly.

Reeeeeeeeesult. :superman:

Ok so now the dials have stopped working again and it's lit up like a ****** Christmas tree! Fuel light, temperature light, ABS, airbags...... Whole 9 yards.

I have done what I did last time and taken it out and called it all the names under the sun but it's being less amenable.

Anyone got any good ideas!???

Plus how long do I need to leave the battery disconnected to reset VAGCOM??

Now re-installed into the car and the speedo is now working. But still got almost all lights lit up so guess that needs a VAGCOM clear??

And the display screen shows the mileage and the word "dEF".

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!

It's a "could be anything" type fault but check if there is any water getting into the dash area.

I have had the binnacle out for a few hours yesterday and its "working" as such.

Just spoke to Audi and they want ...................wait for it.......... £150 to scan with VAGCOM!

WTF???

Are you saying it's ok with the binnacle out and playing up when you fit it back in?

I'm saying that with the binnacle taken out for a few hours and then put back in, it worked ok. Still lights up all over the place (warning lights) and the dEF fault on the speedo screen says "dEF".

Loom or plugs squashed against metal parts inside dash? It's a tricky one. Don't know what the "DEF" message means, hopefully someone on the forum will know later.