Plastic or metal water pump for 2.0 tdi?

jimpa10

Reaction score
I search the forum for a similar thread,but didnt find any answer to this.
The oem water pump for the bkd is plastic.Many people although put the metal as they think is more strong.
Can you pls give your opinion with the advantages and disadvatages of those two pumps?

Put a metal one in mine. My mechanic reckons the plastic ones are rubbish and he's done hundreds of VAG cars...

I agree. Metal is best. My plastic one broke up and 12 months after having my cam belt done as I didn't replace the pump at the same time.

Ended up putting another belt and tensioner on whilst I has it all apart again.

I agree. Metal is best. My plastic one broke up and 12 months after having my cam belt done as I didn't replace the pump at the same time.

Ended up putting another belt and tensioner on whilst I has it all apart again.

thats why you should always replace the pump with belts.

Last edited by a moderator:
always fit the metal on , there only £40 froom euro car parts and always renew your pump when doing your timing belt saves hassle later in life.

the metal on is the better choice over plastic as it doesnt break up

Plastic is plastic for a reason. To make sure it gets serviced at the same time as the belt. If you know you'll change it anyway, then you'll be fine. Metal ones can seize if they're not changed.

*edit* I would go for a metal one. I don't think I made that clear in the above.

Mine is some way off yet, so don't know if I'd do the indie or dealer route, but I'd certainly ratehr have something made of metal rather than plastic in there.

Do the dealer fit the metal one if asked?

There is nothing in the Audi service book which suggests the pump has to be changed with the belt. It is merely from experience that everyone does as a new belt which is a bit tighter usually shags the bearing in the pump after a while.

The fact that the crappy plastic impeller breaks up is just the OEM going cheap on us.

Even if you fit the metal impeller I would still change the pump every time the belt is done due to the bearing issue alone.

I don't think the metal version is an OEM option but I have always gone pattern part anyway and never had an issue.